VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 12:04:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: GNU Backgammon  (Read 5776 times)
kukibl
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:41 am »

So what's the status then.  Is it NOT packaged? Did kukibl give up?  Hope I didn't discourage him! I did a quick and dirty package for proof of concept.  It runs in 3d but crashes with ATI cards from a bug in gtkglext.

I've built package with 3d support. Also, I've created package for gtkglext but using makepkg, because there was some error reports with checkinstall. Works fine for me though. It is not problem for me to upload it on some of free file hosting sites, like RapidShare? Is that ok?

Actually, there is just one problem (I noticed it this morning when I added .desktop file and icons) and I hope that more experienced packagers could help me. I've created .desktop file by editing chromium.desktop. There is icon for GNU Backgammon in XFCE's menu, but when I click on it GNU Backgammon opens and closes after 1 second. If I run it from terminal, it works just fine (and yeah - it looks awesome with 3d Smiley ). For now, I've solved problem by adding "Terminal=True" line to GNU Bg's desktop file. So now, when I click on it, it opens terminal and Backgammon. Undecided

Btw I did not give up, of course. It is not that easy to discourage me, exeterdad. Wink I am not experienced packager, but I am very very interested in the topic and I will try hard to improve my packaging knowledge in the future. As I wrote, hope one day I will be member of VL's packaging team.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:39:55 am by kukibl » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 03:39:18 pm »

Great idea, If it will be by teams, I pick Lyn as team partner Grin

Grin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 04:07:19 pm »

Wonderful.  Team USA consists of Tom and myself.  This should be interesting.  I wonder if we can defeat them by drinking Budweiser and eating Pickled eggs?  I won't be able to sleep in the "Big Bed", but at least we'd have a shot.  Whaddya think?
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 06:45:34 pm »

Mmmmmm ... flatulence.

I live in St. Louis and know some people who work at Anheuser-Busch.  Maybe we could get A-B to sponsor Team USA.  Perhaps we could even get jackets.  Cheesy

Oh, kukibl, please do upload the package you made.  I'd really like to try it out, even if you're not yet an official packager.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:48:39 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kukibl
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 02:49:08 am »

I've uploaded both packages to RapidShare, as you can see. Download it, install with #installpkg and play. Wink

Gtkglext link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/89580120/gtkglext-1.2.0-i586-1vl59.tlz.html Size: 221KB

GNU Backgammon link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/89586917/gnubg-0.15-i586-1vl59.tlz Size: 16.1 MB

Although I am not official packager, please report any errors/bugs you encounter. Do that on this topic or PM me.

Thank you!

Alex
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 06:46:50 am »

kukibl:  Thanks for the packages!  They installed fine on my machine.  3D looks great.  I'll let you know if I find any problems.

Now I just need to learn backgammon ...  Cheesy

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 02:10:13 am »

tomh38
thanks for suggesting this I have been testing boards and could not install this one

Lyn
 If you like ancient board games you will find P.S. Neeley's page very interesting
 Senet was played with reeds as dice..this variation nicely adds this fact but is not as fun to play as UR. I play it with wine on vector, a wooden board game is available..I forget where I got it just now.

senet
http://www.xmission.com/~psneeley/Shareware/senet.htm

Ur
http://www.xmission.com/~psneeley/Shareware/ur.htm

kukibl
Thanks so much for the backgammon, I play this often and did not want to add 70 meg for the kbackgammon as wine plays geert's or quickgamon at a few hundred kb..this was worth all 16meg in comparison to both...I also have small rockets but it is a limited demo..

yes I see my shortcut requires xterm but it is hidden below.
There is no sound for me although it is checked by default.
On p3 700 mhz with 512ram plus swap I can not play 3d as it is frustratingly slow but the 2d full screen is as I said very nice compared to others.
The game 2d on 6oo mhz with 256ram is a bit slow but I changed the speed setting and this helps a lot so still very playable.but still no snd..I will play some more and play with the options..thanks for your efforts this is a nice addition to VL

Everything Is Relative
kukibl
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 10:47:26 am »

kukibl
Thanks so much for the backgammon, I play this often and did not want to add 70 meg for the kbackgammon as wine plays geert's or quickgamon at a few hundred kb..this was worth all 16meg in comparison to both...I also have small rockets but it is a limited demo..

yes I see my shortcut requires xterm but it is hidden below.
There is no sound for me although it is checked by default.
On p3 700 mhz with 512ram plus swap I can not play 3d as it is frustratingly slow but the 2d full screen is as I said very nice compared to others.
The game 2d on 6oo mhz with 256ram is a bit slow but I changed the speed setting and this helps a lot so still very playable.but still no snd..I will play some more and play with the options..thanks for your efforts this is a nice addition to VL

You welcome, overthere! Wink About sound... Open GNU BG > Settings menu > Options > Sound tab > put "aplay" (without quotes of course) in Sound command field > OK. After that save settings by clicking Save settings item in Settings menu. I hope it works now. Smiley
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 12:39:09 pm »

Thanks
no..this only doubles the string..
.ie:/usr share/file/aplay/usr/share/file
and posts an error this file does not exist

solution
I added aplay here for sound:

open--
/home/gnubg/gnubgautorc

scroll down to--
set sound enable yes
set sound system command

add aplay after command and save file--
set sound system command aplay

this works for me
thanks

Everything Is Relative
kukibl
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

no..this only doubles the string..
.ie:/usr share/file/aplay/usr/share/file
and posts an error this file does not exist

Strange... Huh It perfectly worked for me. Anyway, it is important that problem is solved. Wink
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 08:48:21 pm »

The game is very nice and the alternative(rc entry) was just as simple for adding aplay for sound. perhaps my error, but as you say works fine now. Thanks again

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: