VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Removable NTFS mounts read only  (Read 1292 times)

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Removable NTFS mounts read only
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:57:47 pm »

I had this problem under one of the 5.9 betas, and was given a solution:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4559.msg30382#msg30382

However, I've just tried to write to the same drive from 5.9 release, and it is mounted read only again. The two items mentioned in the link above (/sbin/mount.ntfs and /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi) are both in place (I presume that they shipped with the release, since I've not touched anything in that area since installing the release).

If I use 'mount' from the command line, I get the following for the external drive:

Code: [Select]
/dev/sda1 on /media/FreeAgent Drive type fuseblk (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_others,blksize=4096)
So, can someone tell me what I need to do to get read-write access to the drive? Please?

Hmm. It seems I've found part of the answer. I had a directory and some files (a movie in avi format) on the drive. It seemed to be corrupt and I needed the space, so I ran Windows up and removed the directory. Now I have read-write access to the drive from Vector. A peculiarity of NTFS-3G? Very strange....

paul.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:43:07 pm by toothandnail »

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
Re: Removable NTFS mounts read only
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:40 am »

I had this problem under one of the 5.9 betas, and was given a solution:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4559.msg30382#msg30382

However, I've just tried to write to the same drive from 5.9 release, and it is mounted read only again. The two items mentioned in the link above (/sbin/mount.ntfs and /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi) are both in place (I presume that they shipped with the release, since I've not touched anything in that area since installing the release).

If I use 'mount' from the command line, I get the following for the external drive:

Code: [Select]
/dev/sda1 on /media/FreeAgent Drive type fuseblk (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_others,blksize=4096)
So, can someone tell me what I need to do to get read-write access to the drive? Please?

Hmm. It seems I've found part of the answer. I had a directory and some files (a movie in avi format) on the drive. It seemed to be corrupt and I needed the space, so I ran Windows up and removed the directory. Now I have read-write access to the drive from Vector. A peculiarity of NTFS-3G? Very strange....

paul.

Hi Paul,

You will need to change your /etc/fstab fro ro To read read write  (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_others,blksize=4096) the ro in this line gives read only permission.
Cheers !
Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608