VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 11:32:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing on VMware Fusion  (Read 1123 times)
joec

« on: February 04, 2008, 10:34:52 am »

I tried to install VL5.9 Gold on a Fusion virtual machine. I am running an iMac with OS10.4.  i changed the hard disk type to IDE from SCSI so that the VL5.9 disk would "see" it  and partitoned with linux partitions including a swap. I then rebooted as instructed. At that point, the Virtual machine froze. I got a splash screen for VMware, a blank screen and then a freeze (this is on the virtual machine). The iMac itself is not freezing but it appears that the Fusion  program is hogging most of the CPU.

Has anyone here installed VL on Fusion and run into this type of thing?

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:26 am »

Boot VL in vmware and enter the bios, set it to boot from CD, and then you should be able to continue your installation.  I believe that VMware is set to boot from CD the first time only, and then defaults to your (virtual) hard drive (which, at this point, isn't ready to boot).

Other tips for using VL in Vmware are to skip the video (X) setup.  Once installation is done, boot to TUI (text user interface) mode, and (as root) replace the exisiting xorg.conf with the exisiting xorg.conf-vesa.  Reboot and GUI mode should work fine.

Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: