VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How do I instal Non tgz software?  (Read 1578 times)

LanceHaverkamp

How do I instal Non tgz software?
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »

I grew-up on Debian.  Almost everything is available in .deb packages.  I use Pidgin a lot.  I don't see packages for the pidgin-encryption or pidgin-facebook plugins.  How do I install these in SOHO?  Yes, I looked on the wiki, but didn't see much beyond how to use gslapt.

Lance

newt

• Vectorian
Re: How do I instal Non tgz software?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:36:47 pm »

tgz and tlz packages are common for VL.  As expected, VL-specific packages are recommended however some slackware packages should work as long as you stick with the correct SW-to-VL version (e.g. VL 6 is based on SW 12.1 [I think]).

You can also compile packages for VL assuming you've installed the dev and kernel-src packages.  You can do this manually or via VLpackager.  Some packages are easy to compile and some are not.  VLpackager can deal with many source packages but not all.

You can also put in a package request in the correct forum and (usually) someone will get to it quickly.

HTH

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:16:59 pm »

stretchedthin has a flash video that shows how to convert a .deb file to a tar.gz file and install it.

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/vl59soho/gizmo0n59.htm
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:18:59 am »

Or, simply unpack .deb packages, then copy files/directories to the appropriate places

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:21:03 am »

I have build pidgin-facebook plugin for VL......it will be in the testing repo soon...maybe you can try it out...

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9620.0

for the pidgin-encryption plugin, I try to build it but it require NSS and NSPR from mozilla and I am having problem to compile it.....maybe someone can build it..... :P

To compile and install the plugin:
Make sure you have the NSS and NSPR libraries.
Install Pidgin, either from source or from a package. If you use a package, make sure to use the development version so that the Pidgin headers get installed.
Download the Pidgin-Encryption sources (pidgin-encryption-3.0.tar.gz).
tar xzf pidgin-encryption-3.0.tar.gz
cd pidgin-encryption-3.0
If Pidgin was installed into /usr/bin and /usr/lib, configure Pidgin-Encryption with ./configure --prefix=/usr.
If Pidgin was installed into /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib, you will probably need to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to the location of the pidgin.pc file, by configuring with the command PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig   ./configure
If all went well: make install