VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Messenger, webcam and voice chat  (Read 2625 times)

Sivatheja

• Vectorite
    • Banthigaadu
Messenger, webcam and voice chat
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:15:38 am »

Hi,

I used Yahoo messenger and webcam, and google talk for voice chat in my windows machine. Now that I moved to Linux, need the same here also. I'm new and little Googling gave me the following link for Linux version of Yahoo. The problem is I could not makeout the download that has to installed.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/unix.php

Right now I'm using GAIM for chat, any other softwares that serves the purpose in Linux? I havent checked VL with my webcam. Anyone out there with Messgener + Webcam + Voice chat setup?

Thanks in  advance.
Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD

M-ake

Re: Messenger, webcam and voice chat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:09:09 am »

High sivatheja!

You might wanna check amsn, it supports webcams and should support mics too. I used amsn for my needs with webcam, worked out of the box with logitech webcam.

Search for amsn in VL repos and vpackager.
Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:46 am »

Hello Sivatheja!

I use kopete -it is part of the kdenetwork package- and I tryed the latest skype for linux with video support. There is also Wengophone as a voice solution, I didn't try it yet. My Logitech webcam works with the gspca driver, which I downloaded from sourceforge and compiled easily with a ./configure && make && make install.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Sivatheja

• Vectorite
    • Banthigaadu
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:18:38 am »

High sivatheja!

You might wanna check amsn, it supports webcams and should support mics too. I used amsn for my needs with webcam, worked out of the box with logitech webcam.

Search for amsn in VL repos and vpackager.

I chat in Yahoo ID, does aMSN support it?
Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD