Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Messenger, webcam and voice chat  (Read 2676 times)

Sivatheja

• Vectorite
    • Banthigaadu
Messenger, webcam and voice chat
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:15:38 am »
Hi,

I used Yahoo messenger and webcam, and google talk for voice chat in my windows machine. Now that I moved to Linux, need the same here also. I'm new and little Googling gave me the following link for Linux version of Yahoo. The problem is I could not makeout the download that has to installed.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/unix.php

Right now I'm using GAIM for chat, any other softwares that serves the purpose in Linux? I havent checked VL with my webcam. Anyone out there with Messgener + Webcam + Voice chat setup?

Thanks in  advance.
Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD

M-ake

Re: Messenger, webcam and voice chat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:09:09 am »
High sivatheja!

You might wanna check amsn, it supports webcams and should support mics too. I used amsn for my needs with webcam, worked out of the box with logitech webcam.

Search for amsn in VL repos and vpackager.
Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:46 am »
Hello Sivatheja!

I use kopete -it is part of the kdenetwork package- and I tryed the latest skype for linux with video support. There is also Wengophone as a voice solution, I didn't try it yet. My Logitech webcam works with the gspca driver, which I downloaded from sourceforge and compiled easily with a ./configure && make && make install.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Sivatheja

• Vectorite
    • Banthigaadu
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:18:38 am »
High sivatheja!

You might wanna check amsn, it supports webcams and should support mics too. I used amsn for my needs with webcam, worked out of the box with logitech webcam.

Search for amsn in VL repos and vpackager.

I chat in Yahoo ID, does aMSN support it?
Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD