VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 08:02:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist  (Read 2354 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: January 31, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

VL-5.8

Santa was nice and gave me an external graphic card which I only now dared to install. Then I did vasm-hardware-autodetect hardware after which I have no more /dev/scd* and gpm was not working as well.

Giving mount /mnt/cdrom I get:

special device /dev/scd0 does not exist

To get the mouse on the console back I had to change in ../rc.d/init/gpm OPT="-t" to OPT="-t impsS2".

OK the mouse was then solved.

How about the cdrom. I did the CDSET in vasm and nothing happens, I can't mount the CD anymore.
kukibl
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 04:28:35 am »

I had same problem on one desktop computer few days ago. I guess /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/scd0. In my case, I did not have /dev/scd0 node, but I know proper node for my CD drive is /dev/hda. I just did next:

Code:
#rm /dev/cdrom
#ln -sf /dev/hda /dev/cdrom

That solved problem... Smiley

Try this:
Code:
$dmesg | grep CD

I guess it will list proper node for your CD drive. Undecided In my case it is like this:

Code:
hda: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-850S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:32:33 am by kukibl » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 04:56:38 pm »

Thanks kukibl it worked! My CD was always on hdb.

Remains the question why VASM screws-up the system.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:26:49 pm »

Problem is only partially solved. After a reboot /dev/cdrom points again to a non-existing scd0. How can that be avoided? I changed alrady fstab to /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom.

Further I can't play anymore DVDs, only CDs and VCDs.

Why had Santa that idea to give me a graphic card?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 05:16:57 am »

Hi Pita,
I think you will have to write an udev rule for it. It should be something like this:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="hdb", SYMLINK+="cdrom", GROUP="cdrom"

You have to create a file in /etc/udev/rules.d, name it with something like cdrom.rules or what ever and put that line on it.
You can get more info about writing udev rules here: http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
I hope udev-man will be here soon to correct me if I am wrong Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:38:08 am »

Hmm... I thought the udev rules already picked up all optical drives. I wonder what vasm does? I'll try and check when I get a chance, I mean if I do get a chance... Roll Eyes. Seems I keep getting swamped with work these days.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:57:37 pm »

Hi Pita,
I think you will have to write an udev rule for it.

Thanks, yes I thought of it too, however, would it not be odd?

Well after further digging I found the culprit for the mess-up. It is in /lib/udev/devices there @cdrom, @cdwriter pointed to scd0 @mouse as well was wrong. By the time stamp I conclude that this was put by VASM. I changed it now to the correct path hdb for cdrom/writer and input/mice for mouse. I did 2 reboots and the correction stays

I have not yet checked if I can play DVDs.

EDIT
I could not since no symlink dvd pointing to hdb was in /dev. Made one and DVDs are playing properly. This symlink was possibly removed by VASM.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:16:06 pm by Pita » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: