VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 01:45:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: linux and windows  (Read 1905 times)
bujums

« on: February 06, 2008, 12:38:33 pm »

When I got my laptop (Compaq) I created a recovery disk as per the instructions.  then I install Linux. Now I want to have windows and Linux on the laptop but the recovery disk wont install, it thinks I am trying to install on another computer... do you know any way to tweak things so I can reinstall windows?  I am guessing the only thing that could have changed would be in the bios... Huh
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:03 pm »

Having windows and linux on the same machine is definitely doable.  Generally, the easiest way is to start with installing windows, then install linux.  In your case, you're attempting to do the opposite - not a big deal, just a few extra steps needed.

Regarding your recovery disc (?) not working, I do no think the issue is related to VL, specifically.  Also, if you did not make any changes in your BIOS then the issue should not be related that either.  Some systems (laptops included) actually have a recovery partition on the hard drive.  This recovery partition is generally accessed during the boot; you'll be prompted to press a specific key to enter "Compaq Diagnostics/Utilities" (or some such thing).  The recovery partition can generally put the hard drive back to the manufacturers original state (i.e. EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DRIVE, ALL DATA, WILL BE LOST).  My recommendation would be to get the laptop back to manufacturers state (backup any of your linux data because it will be lost), and then use a tool like Gparted live cd to shrink your windows partition, and then use the VL installer to install to the space you created.

Now, if you don't have a recovery partition then somehow you need to "convince" your laptop that the recover disc you have belongs to it Cheesy.  The convincing part is what's in question.

Is the recovery disc you created a CD?  DVD?  Floppy?

I don't know if any of this will be helpful to you, but hopefully something sparks a thought.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »

do you know any way to tweak things so I can reinstall windows?  I am guessing the only thing that could have changed would be in the bios... Huh

Maybe you don`t have to reinstall windows if it`s still on one of your partitions.
You might try to modify /boot/grub/menu.lst (as root) and type
grub-install /dev/hda (or other disk respectively)

Here is an example of simple menu.lst file for grub to have dual-bootable computer

################
 # Start GRUB global section
 timeout 6
 default 0

title Windows (/dev/hda1)
 rootnoverify (hd0,0)
 makeactive
 chainloader +1

title Linux (/dev/hda2)
 root (hd0,1)
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=normal

# END
 ##################
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:00:59 pm by Witek Mozga » Logged

bujums

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:04:22 pm »

good advise so far... my recovery disks are on 2 DVD's.  I no longer have the recovery partition, so that is my main issue I think.   I will keep working on it.  I would not even bother with Windows but with my new job i would like to have several programs I would like to use on the laptop...
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:44:44 pm »

This is the information I find at hp.com.  I assume this is what you've tried, but if not then this would be the place to start:
If the PC cannot access Windows, use the Recovery Disk to boot computer and restore the hard drive.
The Recovery Manager function on the Recovery Disk examines the condition of the hard drive and attempts to fix any system errors to allow the PC to start and run in Windows. If the disk area used by the HP Recovery Manager is corrupted, the Recovery Manager cannot repair the errors. The Recovery Manager will read the information from the Recovery Disk and restore the drive to its original condition.
Use the Recovery disk to restore the PC by following the steps below.
1. Open the disk drive door and turn the PC off.
2. Insert the first Recovery Disk in the disk drive and close the door.
3. Press the power button to turn on the PC.
4. The HP Backup and Recovery Manager window will appear during the boot process.
5. If the Recovery Manager can access the hard drive it displays a prompt to backup up your user files before continuing the recovery. If it cannot access the hard drive to fix the system errors, the Recovery Manager starts recovering the hard drive to its original condition.
6. Follow the prompts to insert any additional recovery disks in the disk drive.

link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=81351&printable=no&docname=c00809678#N624
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:05:55 pm »

When I got my laptop (Compaq) I created a recovery disk as per the instructions.  then I install Linux. Now I want to have windows and Linux on the laptop but the recovery disk wont install, it thinks I am trying to install on another computer... do you know any way to tweak things so I can reinstall windows?  I am guessing the only thing that could have changed would be in the bios... Huh

If other suggestions don't help, contact Compaq tech support. I know that some Toshibas had a bug whereby they reported that you were using another computer where you tried to use the Recovery Disk. There was a fix for this, but I don't know what it was. Compaq may have the same issue on some computers.

Have you Googled on the error message? You may find a clue there.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bujums

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 03:26:27 pm »

GrannyGeek,
    I did try to work with compaq and after several hours on the phone (20 minutes just to tell the guy what my serial # was) they told me i was not supposed to put any other operating system in...

I am going to try some things in the next few days and if i get another error message I will google it, that is a good idea. It does sound like the Toshiba thing when I was trying to do this It told me I was uning the wrong computer...

Newter,
     Thanks for looking up the hp stuff!  I will keep that info handy when I try this again.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:55:06 pm »

GrannyGeek,
    I did try to work with compaq and after several hours on the phone (20 minutes just to tell the guy what my serial # was) they told me i was not supposed to put any other operating system in...

That's disgusting of Compaq! It shouldn't make any difference what you have done to the computer if you haven't messed with hardware or the BIOS. The Restore Disk is supposed to wipe out anything on the hard drive, including any partitions from another OS. Compaq is telling you that just to avoid the issue.

If you have no other solution, you could buy a retail copy of XP (assuming that's what you have), create a partition for it leaving Linux alone (you might have to shrink the Linux partition), and install Windows. It'll wipe out the Linux boot loader but you can fix that without too much trouble.

You might try posting about your problem here:
http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-laptop

You'll need an AOL screen name, but it's a quick signup, you don't need any special software and no software is installed on your computer, there's no charge, and you shouldn't get any more spam as a result.

Good luck!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:02:49 pm »

I agree with Granny - it's a terrible way to assist customers with technical issues.  Perhaps the next step would be to remove all partitions from the drive so you're working with a zero drive, and then try the recovery dvds.  If you still run into problems you can call Compaq back and tell them that you are trying to recover your hard drive to it's original state after a...
"...friend tried to help you delete your recovery partition and accidentally deleted everything.  Lucky thing I made these recovery DVDs.  {phew}"

Notice, no mention of any other operating systems? Wink
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 05:13:53 pm »

They are partners of HP or something like that,  tell them you installed HP-UX Grin
I think if you can re-create the original partition scheme everything will work; perhaps Google has the answer about the number, size and volume labels of the partitions.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bujums

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 07:38:56 am »

Thanks again everybody for the support and advise... I actually have totally wiped out the hard drive and tried to reinstal the windows recovery stuff and still told me that I was trying to intall on the wrong computer.  I think I will have to do the research on the origional partitions or maybe some of the other suggestions that have been listed will work. Oh well, I have several things to try and if all fails I will just have to buy XP.  I know that would work.  I am just too cheep.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:42:03 am »

With a totally partitionless hard drive and unmodified hardware, this is COMPAQ's problem.  They owe it to you to get it sorted out.  After all, you did what they asked and created the recovery DVDs; now they won't work <- Compaq's problem.  Don't mention anything about another operating system.  Sorry to be so blunt Grin
bujums

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 12:16:30 pm »

Newtor,  you are right.  I should try to call them agian and hopefully I can talk to someone that speaks english a little better that the last few reps I got.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:47:24 pm »

Newtor,  you are right.  I should try to call them agian and hopefully I can talk to someone that speaks english a little better that the last few reps I got.

Compaq and HP have a Live Chat for tech support. You "chat" one-on-one with a tech rep. Maybe you'd have an easier time understanding the person you're dealing with because it's all text, not a phone call. Let me know if you need the URL for the Live Chat.

I agree--don't mention Linux.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: