VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 06:35:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED]Scanner for Canon MP160  (Read 6962 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: February 06, 2008, 03:44:20 pm »

I have a Canon MP160 all-in-one connected by USB to my Athlon 64 running VL 5.9 Standard Deluxe. I got the printer working with the CUPS Canon MP150 driver and it printed a test page fine. Okay, printer seems fine.

I was able to get the scanner working by installing the Canon Linux software for the scanner. It came on two rpm packages that I converted to tgz and installed both with installpkg. The scanner doesn't work with sane or xsane, but it is usable in the Gimp through File menu, Acquire, ScanGear MP, but ONLY if I run Gimp as root. If I run Gimp as user, nothing happens when I click on Acquire, ScanGear MP--no error messages.

If I run ScanGear from a terminal as root, the program comes up and goes all the way through a scan, but the file seems corrupted and won't open in anything. If I run ScanGear in a terminal as user, I get this message:
Cannot find Canon MFP scanner device.

This sounds like a permissions problem to me. ScanGear has read and execute permissions for others, so the problem isn't with the software. I assume the scanner itself has permissions only for root, but I don't know where to find the device so I can change that. This is what I get with lsusb as root:
root:# lsusb
Bus 2 Device 1: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 2 Device 2: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 3 Device 1: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 1 Device 4: ID 04a9:1714 Canon, Inc.
Bus 1 Device 2: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 1 Device 1: ID 0000:0000 

sane-find-scanner reports this:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1714 [MP160]) at libusb:1:4

scanimage -L says this:
root:# scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

How do I give myself as user permission to use the scanner? I'm content to use the scanner through Gimp, but I need to be able to do it running Gimp as user.

Any advice gratefully received!
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:10:30 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:32:14 pm »

I think the permissions problem must be in /dev. Check /dev/videoX, the scanner kernel name must be something like that.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »

I assume you already are a member of the group "scanner"? (type "groups" to see if that is the case)...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:25:20 pm »

I assume you already are a member of the group "scanner"? (type "groups" to see if that is the case)...

Yes, my user name is in the scanner group. Anything else?
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:29:54 pm »

I think the permissions problem must be in /dev. Check /dev/videoX, the scanner kernel name must be something like that.

I did look through /dev but didn't find anything that looked like the scanner. I don't know how to interpret "Bus 1 Device 4: ID 04a9:1714 Canon, Inc." or "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1714 [MP160]) at libusb:1:4" so I can change permissions on the USB port. I'll look through/proc to see if I can find the scanner there.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:27:03 pm »

Problem is now solved.

I couldn't find the place in /dev to change the permissions. Someone on another Linux forum suggested trying this based on the
Bus 1 Device 4: ID 04a9:1714 Canon, Inc.
line in lspci:
#chmod 777 /dev/bus/usb/001/004

That command had to be modified for VL, but not much. What I did was go into Midnight Commander as root, go to /dev/bus/usb/1 and found that @4 was a symlink to /dev/usbdev1.4. I highlighted that file in Midnight Commander, did Control-x, c and enabled read, write, and execute for everyone.

Once I did this, I was able to scan as user from the Gimp through File menu, Acquire, ScanGear and I was able to start the ScanGear software from a terminal prompt, too. So all is well and I now have full use of the scanner in my Canon all-in-one (which was free after rebate when I bought my Gateway laptop last August).
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: