Author Topic: k3b installed butdoesn't show up  (Read 2374 times)

tonymoloney

k3b installed butdoesn't show up
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:25:48 pm »
I've just installedK3b using gslapt and everything went as it should, but nowI I can'tfind the application. Any hints?

newt

• Vectorian
Re: k3b installed butdoesn't show up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:36:30 pm »
It would be helpful to know which version of VL you're using.

Aside from that, VL59 should come stock with k3b which can be found in the 'multimedia' menu.  If you're using vl58 standard then k3b would have to get installed along with kdelibs (I think) in order for it to work.  Regardless, you should be able to start k3b from the shell with the command 'k3b' (however, you'll need to run k3bsetup first to set proper permissions for your burner; I find accepting the defaults works fine).

Hope this helps.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:35:33 am »
I've just installedK3b using gslapt and everything went as it should, but nowI I can'tfind the application. Any hints?

If you can run it from the command line, it probably means you need to force update your system menus. Try this:

Code: [Select]
xfdesktop -reload
Check that you can run k3b from a command line first, since that should give you any errors if it fails to start.

paul.

tonymoloney

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:01:42 pm »
I'm using 5.8 and running from the command line gives a program not found error.
Searching for the program using find applications doesn't find anything. I've used the file manager and had a quick search myself, but I can't find where the program has been installed.
(Sorry about the delay in responding - I'm in Perth, Western Australia, and I'm actually installing a system on my son's computer in a different suburb and can only do so when he's home)

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:38:09 pm »
I think you're dealing with two problems: 1) the menu file is not located properly for VL58 standard, and 2) the k3b installation directory is not in the users path.  Also, you'll need to run '/opt/kde/bin/k3bsetup2' as root once to set permissions correctly.

#1:
Create a symlink to the menu file (as root): ln -s /opt/kde/share/applications/kde/k3b.desktop /usr/share/applications/k3b.desktop
Then restart X (i.e. exit xfce and then start it again).

#2:
Add the installation directory to your path (as user): export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin
You can also edit .bash_rc and add the path there.

tonymoloney

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 08:50:48 pm »
Thanks for the help.
I followed your advice and still can't get it to run.
I can't find k3bsetup2 anywhere, the closest is K3bsetup which doesn't do anything.
I also found K3b in /usr/dave but it wouldn't run
When I look in the k3b.desktop folder all I see is several entries in green with an asterisk after the name like k3b*
Meanwhile I found Graveman which did the job I want.

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »
k3bsetup is the name I was looking for; sorry about that.  When it's run as root it _should_ bring up a window that provides you the ability to modify k3b/burning permissions.  I think it's strange that nothing happened.

Also, /usr/dave sounds like an odd place to have a packaged installed.  Perhaps there's something wrong with the package in the repository ???

Generally, files in green text with asterisks are executable.  You could try running it by going to that folder and issuing the './filename' command (e.g. for k3b* you'd issue './k3b' - no quotes of course).  But I'm guessing since everything else seems to not be working correctly that this won't either.

I think this problem takes someone with more knowledge than myself to help you resolve it.  I wish I could help more but you've got me stumped :D