VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 10:09:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: QEMU  (Read 4854 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: February 07, 2008, 10:42:39 pm »

VL 5.9 doesn't seem to include QEMU and the kqemu accelerator. I have a nice qemu virtual machine file with Win 98SE in it that I'd like to run in 5.9, but QEMU isn't in the repositories. Is there some reason it was omitted and is there any chance we could have a package for QEMU and kqemu? Thanks!

VirtualBox does not support having Win 98SE installed in it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:19 am »

I would also like to have QEMU and kqemu, please.  I've heard about it but never tried it, and since GrannyGeek mentioned it here I just did a little reading about.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:21 am »

vpackager -> Cruxports4slack -> search for quemu -> select and hit the build button

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:53:19 am »

GrannyGeek:   You can install Win 98SE with VirtualBox (according to the web site at least with the latest version) but without extensions ... so it would probably be pretty bad.

M0E  ... I would do that, but:

=======> Using Pkgfile for building Package
=======> Downloading 'http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-0.9.0-i386.tar.gz'.
=======> Partial download found, trying to resume
--13:44:42--  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-0.9.0-i386.tar.gz
           => `/usr/ports/opt/qemu-bin/qemu-0.9.0-i386.tar.gz.partial'
Resolving fabrice.bellard.free.fr... 212.27.63.149
Connecting to fabrice.bellard.free.fr|212.27.63.149|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
13:44:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.

=======> Partial download failed, restarting
--13:44:42--  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-0.9.0-i386.tar.gz
           => `/usr/ports/opt/qemu-bin/qemu-0.9.0-i386.tar.gz.partial'
Resolving fabrice.bellard.free.fr... 212.27.63.149
Connecting to fabrice.bellard.free.fr|212.27.63.149|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
13:44:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I looked at the web site: he's gone to 0.9.1 and the URL for the download is http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-0.9.1.tar.gz.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:59:06 am »

I think it's still hosted, just the filename has changed: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-0.9.0.tar.gz

Maybe downloading the file manually and changing the filename to what cruxports expects will work. Huh

edit:
Actually, what I've linked to is the source code.
What cruxports4slack is attempting to get is the binary.
Since the binary is available perhaps it's easy enough to install without crux/gslapt (e.g. ./install.sh or some such thing)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:01:43 pm by newtor » Logged
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:21:24 pm »

Thanks newtor

I'm going to give straight compiling a try. KQemu in vpackager seemed to compile fine.

M0E:  I didn't mean to sound like I thought the error was your fault, or that I wanted you to fix it.  I just wanted to share the info.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »

i cant fix it. That error is the result of a bad pkgfile / dead url

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:31:22 am »

M0E,

I probably could have been clearer in what I wrote.  What I was trying to say was that I knew the error had nothing to do with you, and that there was nothing you could do about it.  I just wanted to pass on the information.

Thanks,
Tom

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »

GrannyGeek:   You can install Win 98SE with VirtualBox (according to the web site at least with the latest version) but without extensions ... so it would probably be pretty bad.

It's beyond "pretty bad."

I have a couple of old Win 3.I programs that lose some functionality under XP/Vista. They work fine under any 9x. So I installed the Windows version of VirtualBox on my XP and Vista computers. I then installed Win 98SE in the virtual machine, figuring "how bad could it be?" Well, it was HORRIBLE. Without the extensions I was limited to VGA, 640x480, 16 colors. There is no easy way to communicate with the host computer, no support for USB. It works extremely slowly--so slow you really can't use it. Since VirtualBox warns you that only the NT versions of Windows have proper support and extensions, I'm sure Win 98SE would be the same in the Linux VirtualBox.

I wound up installing 98SE in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, which is a free download. Microsoft says it's supported only in the Pro, Business, and Ultimate versions of XP/Vista. Well, that's true, but Virtual PC installs just fine in the Home versions and there's nothing in the EULA that says it's illegal to do this. It's just not supported, so if you run into a problem, don't ask Microsoft for help. 98SE works great in Virtual PC.

I'm glad you noticed the problem with cruxports and QEMU. I may see if I can do a binary install and if that doesn't work, I'll try compiling it.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:21:38 am »

GrannyGeek:
Wow ... that is horrible.   Of all the versions of the Win 9x series that I used, I liked 98SE the best.  I'd kind of like to have it on my computer (remember, this is me saying this  Grin), because as a teenager I really liked Centipede a lot, and the Microsoft Arcade version was the best PC version I've ever tried.  There's a version by Champ (a dead company I think) which can be run in dosbox, but it's just not as fun as the Microsoft version.  I remember trying to run Microsoft Arcade in XP once, and it didn't work properly.

I'm rambling ...

Anyway ... I think I'm going to see what results you get from QEMU before I try it, unless somebody packages it.  Cowardly of me I know, but right now I'm having other computer problems, so I don't want to bother with it.

Thanks for the info,
Tom

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 09:49:14 am »

if you open the Pkgfile for qemu-bin and change the version to 0.9.1
it will build the package.

I built the packages with vpackager.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/kqemu-1.3.0pre11-i586-3vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/qemu-bin-0.9.1-i586-3vl59.tlz
I had to add the keymaps to the qemu-bin package to get it to work, and
I thought while I was at it I would throw in the vl-qemu front end from joe1962. http://code.google.com/p/vemul/
make sure to give that a try by running vl-qemu
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:38:26 am by uelsk8s » Logged
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:47:17 am »

Thanks uelsk8s!

I'll definitely give it a try.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:31:21 am »

I am trying to create a "container" for a Win98SE virtual machine on my 1.3 GHz desktop computer. I've tried what I thought was the standard command:
qemu-img create /mnt/98SEvm/qemuimg/win98se.img 3G

The qemuimg directory is on /mnt/98SEvm. Permissions on the directory are read-write-execute for everyone. When I run that command, the container file is not created and all I get is

root:# qemu-img create /mnt/98SEvm/qemuimg/win98se.img 3.0G
qemu-img version 0.9.1, Copyright (c) 2004-2008 Fabrice Bellard
usage: qemu-img command [command options]
QEMU disk image utility

and a long list of command options follows. There are no error messages. I've tried as root and as user. I've tried while I'm in the /mnt/98SEvm/qemuimg directory and not in the directory. I have tried an -f vvfat and -f raw modifier placed in the proper location.

I tried using vl-qemu front end and when I click on the Drives/Images tab, the "create" box is grayed out. It's not allowing me to use the graphical front end for creating a container. So I can't use the command line, I can't use the front end.

What am I doing wrong? As far as I know, after I create the container file, I would then install the operating system in it. I can't install an OS until I have a container for it.

I even rebooted before I tried again to create a container. No difference. I've installed both kqemu and qemu from Uelsk8s's directory. I ran ldconfig as root after I installed them. I don't see any qemu or kqemu modules in lsmod or any processes running for either of them. Do I need to do a modprobe for either or both? I did try a
modprobe kqemu
as root and got a
FATAL: Module kqemu not found.

Any ideas?
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:47:47 pm »

I tried using vl-qemu front end and when I click on the Drives/Images tab, the "create" box is grayed out. It's not allowing me to use the graphical front end for creating a container. So I can't use the command line, I can't use the front end.

the box directly to the right of the create button is for the source path if you want to convert an image.
it took me a second to realize that the first time as well.
put the path to the image you want to create in the second box and click the GO button.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:13:11 pm »

Sorry it has taken me so long to report back on this.

I installed QEMU and KQEMU. I was finally able to create a container through vl-qemu. As ueksk8s stated, you put the path for the container file in the "convert" box and then you click on the Create button, then GO.

I then fdisked and formatted the virtual hard drive in the container with a Win 98 SE boot CD I created years ago. Then I attempted to install Win 98SE using the original Upgrade CD.

I ran into lots of problems. Had to reboot the VM numerous times. Then 98SE complained that my code was invalid. Odd--I copied it right off the cardboard sleeve the CD came in. I finally googled and found a list of codes that might work and I used one of them. Strange that the valid code didn't work but the invalid one did. I allocated 256 megs to 98SE and the partition is four gigs.

I actually installed about three times because my first attempt seemed corrupt, had problems with the second one, and finally the installation seemed to complete the third time. I discovered that kqemu caused all sorts of problems, so I rmmod kqemu and things seem better. It was actually slower with kqemu.

I'm finding that Win 98SE is basically unusable in this QEMU vm. Most of the time it won't even load and if it does and I use it a little, it causes problems and locks up and disables the mouse in both virtual Windows and in XFce. I have to start another console through Control-Alt-F2 and kill the qemu process in order to get back the desktop, but the mouse doesn't work, so I have to exit XFce and X and restart X.

I then copied a 2 gig Win 95A vm from my other desktop and had somewhat better luck with that. It was pretty slow, though. I was trying this on my slower desktop (1.3 GHz, 1 gig RAM) and I think the computer lacks enough power for running a virtual machine acceptably.

I'll be trying both 98SE and 95A under QEMU on my Athlon 64 X2 desktop. Things should be better there. Will report the results, and especially whether kqemu works on that computer.

For my purposes (just a couple of Windows programs, but they're "must haves"), Win 95A is sufficient. It's *really* old, though, whereas 98SE still has a bit of support as far as current programs that'll run on it.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: