VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 07:31:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removable NTFS mounts read only  (Read 1013 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: February 10, 2008, 01:57:47 pm »

I had this problem under one of the 5.9 betas, and was given a solution:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4559.msg30382#msg30382

However, I've just tried to write to the same drive from 5.9 release, and it is mounted read only again. The two items mentioned in the link above (/sbin/mount.ntfs and /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi) are both in place (I presume that they shipped with the release, since I've not touched anything in that area since installing the release).

If I use 'mount' from the command line, I get the following for the external drive:

Code:
/dev/sda1 on /media/FreeAgent Drive type fuseblk (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_others,blksize=4096)

So, can someone tell me what I need to do to get read-write access to the drive? Please?

Hmm. It seems I've found part of the answer. I had a directory and some files (a movie in avi format) on the drive. It seemed to be corrupt and I needed the space, so I ran Windows up and removed the directory. Now I have read-write access to the drive from Vector. A peculiarity of NTFS-3G? Very strange....

paul.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:43:07 pm by toothandnail » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:40 am »

I had this problem under one of the 5.9 betas, and was given a solution:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4559.msg30382#msg30382

However, I've just tried to write to the same drive from 5.9 release, and it is mounted read only again. The two items mentioned in the link above (/sbin/mount.ntfs and /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi) are both in place (I presume that they shipped with the release, since I've not touched anything in that area since installing the release).

If I use 'mount' from the command line, I get the following for the external drive:

Code:
/dev/sda1 on /media/FreeAgent Drive type fuseblk (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_others,blksize=4096)

So, can someone tell me what I need to do to get read-write access to the drive? Please?

Hmm. It seems I've found part of the answer. I had a directory and some files (a movie in avi format) on the drive. It seemed to be corrupt and I needed the space, so I ran Windows up and removed the directory. Now I have read-write access to the drive from Vector. A peculiarity of NTFS-3G? Very strange....

paul.

Hi Paul,

You will need to change your /etc/fstab fro ro To read read write  (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_others,blksize=4096) the ro in this line gives read only permission.
Cheers !

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: