VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: non PAE  (Read 1336 times)

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
non PAE
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »

Besides turning off PAE in kernel config, then rolling a new kernel; what else is needed or might be different when trying to use a pre-PAE processor with a distro and repos designed for 32-bit with PAE?

I'm assuming it's pretty much a kernel thing; actually, I have no clue.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: non PAE
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:51:46 am »

My understanding is that turning on pae also toggles NX which has some fragment of assistance against bad programming. it also limits ram to 3.5 gig and may have an impact on cpu usage...this naturally means very little and may boost performance for those who have a computer with a cpu that does not have pae or machines that have less than 4 gig of ram. I am unsure if modern kernels like 3.12 have option for this but am very curious, if not that basically marks the end of 32 bit which will be next. basically I have no clue. think its a himem option
Everything Is Relative

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:08 pm »

Good point about NX. It should be mentioned if we get a consistent method we can post.

So far, I get just compile the kernel (I'll dig into exactly which flags later on) and new kernel-headers. I just doubt that's all there is to successfully running non-PAE on a distro where having PAE is taken for granted.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

Solli

• user
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:16:30 am »

Good point about NX. It should be mentioned if we get a consistent method we can post.

So far, I get just compile the kernel (I'll dig into exactly which flags later on) and new kernel-headers. I just doubt that's all there is to successfully running non-PAE on a distro where having PAE is taken for granted.

Hi there roarde have you found a more consistent method yet that you can share?

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 08:25:38 pm »

I'm still interested in this, but cannot spend any time on it in the near future. M0E-lnx has offered a kernel, mentioned in the thread http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18958.0. Apparently there's still more to do, either in the kernel packages themselves or in loading the kernel.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light