VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:05:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta 1 Bug thread  (Read 15789 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: February 11, 2008, 08:22:30 pm »

please post all bugs here.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
M-ake

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:00:57 pm »

"login failed" text placement needs to be adjusted, now it appears over the buttons.
Also I could make some adjustments to the background image.

there is "Games" section in JWM menu altough I didn't install any games.

For some reason my network just crashed. I mean, ifconfig showed only "lo", the eth0 interface disappeared completely. I got this back by running netconf in vasm. I'll post more if this happens again.

JWM's shortcut for changing virtual desktop (alt + number) are the same as irssi's navigation buttons. When trying to change channel in irssi it changes to different virtual desktop instead.

Other observations:
Memory footprint after first boot is 32 Mb, according to htop. Nice! Makes my P3 550mhz 198 Mb box run faster than the Winblows P4 2,6 Ghz 1,5 Gb ram comp.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:32:06 pm by M-ake » Logged

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:05:09 pm »

I don't know how this happened, but I downloaded from the link provided by uelsk8s, and right now I am looking at an installation of VLocity, not VL-Light.
Welcome to VLocity.

This is a distro for those who
are willing to trade off some
automation for speed.

boot time: 75 seconds
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:53:47 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:58:46 pm »

Heh, that's what beta testing is all about.

What you have is VL Light. My mistake.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:30:32 pm »

1- I was gonna suggest that the version identity of the OS be prominently displayed. Then I saw VLocity, and though it was the wrong name, this is what is needed, the name of the VL version displayed at first boot. I neglected to put a sticker ID on the three test versions of VL I have here and had to run all three CDs to identify each one, and identification wasn't easy because two of the three didn't identify at boot, whereas VL Live did. So my first suggestion is that the version "VL Light" be prominently displayed on the boot splash.

2- If I run xterm, there is problem with color and contrast. Possibly, the background color needs to be different. To see what I'm talking about, just use command 'ls" and you will notice that the output is hardly readable against the rich blue background. Furthermore, with xterm being as blue as it is, I may be on the verge of overdosing on blue in this version.

3- XFE drag bar is now accessible, I can move the applet.

4- There is no burning app in the XFCE Menu. I recommend grafburn. GoblinX Mini (153mb) manages to use Brasero.

5- Login dialog is working much better this time. Easy access to both JWM and Fluxbox.

6- Persistant annoying behavior from over-sensitive mouse clicker, getting undesired spurious menus with left click.

7- CBC Radio audio stream plays OOTB, but long delay buffering, maybe 40 seconds.

8- I've always been annoyed by streaming applets that go mute if removed from view by random left click. That is, if the applet is not reduced by clicking the minimize button in the upper right corner of the applet, but rather is removed from view by a random left click, the stream goes mute and will stagnate if not made visible again very soon.

9- I can play a FLV file with xine from CLI, but VLC does not play the file, same way. (I installed VLC with Gslapt.)
Code:
vector:/~
user:$ xine /home/user/Desktop/YouTube/vid.flv
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The Xine Team.
vector:/~
user:$ vlc /home/user/Desktop/YouTube/vid.flv
VLC media player 0.8.6d Janus
[00000254] main playlist: nothing to play
BTW, I just installed VLC in VL 5.9 Std with Gslapt, and VLC doesn't work there either. Same error.

10- Default font is a bit ugly. [Here I am referring mainly to Opera fonts; I don't have a problem with Menu fonts.]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:35:12 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:08:41 pm »

This is not only a VL Light issue, as 5.9 Std has same problem:

One of my machines has two optical drives, hdc and hdd. I usually have to manually edit fstab for both of them to work. I see this going by on boot:
Code:
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 31: cannot create temp file here for document:
 Read-only file system.
grep: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access 'cdrom{NUMBER}': No such file or directory
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 59: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: Read-o
nly file system.
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 114: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: Read-
only file system.
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 129: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: Read-
only file system.
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 31: cannot create temp file here for document:
 Read-only file system.
grep: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access 'cdrom{NUMBER}': No such file or directory
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 59: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: Read-o
nly file system.
/lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh: line 74: /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-devices.rules: Read-o
nly file system.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:27:55 pm »

Two things:

1) the Opera menu fonts are terrible. This is normally fixed with changing opera:config and setting Enable Core X Fonts=0. I have tried that plus a number of other settings and still cannot get the fonts to look good. When I loaded the Slackware 12 package from opera.com the fonts in the menu were fine???

2) /sbin/vhalswitch doesn't exist, which breaks VASM if one decides to load or unload HAL onto VL-Light.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:55:52 pm »

Larry,
which slack12 package?
When I loaded the Slackware 12 package from opera.com the fonts in the menu were fine???
vec
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:37:27 am »

I think Larry means the binary you can download from http://opera.com/download
http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?distro=slackware&id=30462%2C&location=223&sub=++++&x=103&y=24

Not sure if the direct link will work.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 06:14:40 am »

Finally got around to installing beta1 on an old machine... First off let's see the machine's specs

Compaq Deskpro (SFF)
10gb drive (4gb for / and 5gb for /home and 1gb for swap)
384MB RAM
PIII Coppermine 730.927GHZ CPU

The install was awesome.. just over 10 minutes
Configuration as usual... quick and easy...

Serious problem:
I'm unable to get X working. Here is the video card information
oot:# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 02)

The log file is awefully long... so to be nice to the forum, I'm posting it on a pastebin
http://pastebin.com/f4b544439

Need help here... I love how vl light performs on this box...

EDIT_
BTW, This is an htop snapshot of that box
http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/41811/2001300319582661174_rs.jpg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:01:05 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:13:35 am »

2) /sbin/vhalswitch doesn't exist, which breaks VASM if one decides to load or unload HAL onto VL-Light.
how does this break vasm?
hal is not part of vl-light so vhalswitch doesnt do anything.

I have put together an ISO of livecd's it has VLocity A2.3, SLAX 6.0.0, dsl 4.2.5, puppy 3.01-seamonkey, and NimbleX sub100.
It is a great way to test hardware and driver options across different distro's
you can grab it here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/VLocity-SLAX-dsl-puppy-NimbleX.iso
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:47:17 am »

No, it doesn't really break it of course. The thing is as I was testing VL-Light I installed the gimp, oo, k3b, plus a few other things to test out stuff and it installed HAL by default. I was then unable to remove HAL with VASM, that was my only point about the problem.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:50:14 am »

gxine is very troublesome in Puppy 3.01, plus I get more freezing up than I like, so I prefer the last Puppy before Slackware compatibility, Puppy 2.17.1. True, 2.17.1 lacks SW compatibility, it still offers enhanced modem detection and support. Sequence of versions: 2.17 > 2.17.1 > 3.0 > 3.01

The latest Zenwalk 5.0 offers HAL, and uses Brasero for burning:
http://www.linux.com/feature/126526

I'm curious about GoblinX Mini, Mepis AntiX, Wolvix Cub. I guess I'll get around to Ubuntu Studio and Dreamlinux 3.0 as well. Maybe I'll pull out the ol Austrumi disk and try to get network to go this time.

EDIT: Austrumi ain't too shabby, actually. Business card size, around 65 mb, runs from ram, good selection of apps, burner is SimpleCDR-X, hardinfo, emelFM2, looks like more fun than DSL (hehe). Easy language conversion (Latvian to English). Chock full of stuff. Check it out!
http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:53:46 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 12:24:24 pm »

No, it doesn't really break it of course. The thing is as I was testing VL-Light I installed the gimp, oo, k3b, plus a few other things to test out stuff and it installed HAL by default. I was then unable to remove HAL with VASM, that was my only point about the problem.
I think we should add vhalswitch to out hal package then.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Uelsk8s
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:00:31 pm »

xcalc does not work right. I seem to remember this was an issue in another release a while back?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: