VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 02:04:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta 1 Bug thread  (Read 15802 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 04:54:52 pm »

xcalc does not work right. I seem to remember this was an issue in another release a while back?

I say trash it - the FOX calculator is much nicer anyways so xcalc is redundant.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 05:03:42 pm »

bc should do de job Wink

Nah, just joking....

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 05:06:44 pm »

Checking out Mepis AntiX, Brasero is the burning software. AntiX iso is 309 mb.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:10:36 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 06:47:49 pm »

bc should do de job Wink

Nah, just joking....

A great, another CLI user. Yes, bc is wonderful, I use it quite a bit. I love watching some Windows users use the calculator. Entering numbers with the mouse on the numerical keypad. Do they realize they could probably calculate those sort of cumbersome operations faster in their head? Ah well...sometimes one has to wonder about the lack of efficiency in modern GUI systems....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 07:38:07 pm »

As a Windows-calculator occasional user, I feel compelled to defend my honour here:  What onscreen numpad?

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 07:55:19 pm »

I make lot of jokes to the store owner from my block, I buy 10 milks and he do 10*2.5 in the calculator.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:00:05 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 07:56:45 pm »

well, bc is the most powerful calculator around, but it's nearly a programming language...

http://www.gnu.org/software/bc/manual/html_mono/bc.html

Plume

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 11:33:10 am »

- wireless-tools is missing (and it's hard to gslapt it when the network is unreachable !).
- yellow forground on light grey background in pkgtool is not easy to read.
- I don't understand why modules composing VL-Light are on /directories basis instead of application or group of applications basis. None of them is removable so why not a single big one?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 09:23:44 am »

Done some more testing... Here is some stuff I found.

Finally got around to getting X started... I have an old CRT monitor.... dont even know what brand it is...
but for some reason, VL Light was not setting up the right sync values for it... so I borrowed puppy's and managed to get it to work

Tried to build tightvnc... and ran into these problems
Missing xorg-cf-files package
Missing gccmakedep package
Missing iMake package

After that got built... ran into some more problem
Missing symlink in /usr/lib/X11 to point to /usr/share/fonts

Found leftover .ideskrc in my $HOME...
This needs to be removed if idesk will not be used

COSMETIC..
Please change the blue background in the terminal to black... blue is not good because of the bash colors (dirs are blue)
How about changing the orientation of the desktop icons?... make them line up vertically instead of horizontally?... not sure this is possible in pcmanfm.

Other than that... seems to be coming right along.... and I do believe will be the fastest VL i've ever tried..
Keep it coming
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:30:15 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 01:55:37 pm »

Oooh, this is sweet. I'm waiting for 5.9 SOHO, but this is a very pleasant surprise. Smiley

Any thought on how well this would run on a 486? I've been eying the wonderfully cheap MicroClient JrSX recently.

What BT client is included? I've heard good things about Deluge, thought I haven't tried it out yet myself.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 07:15:03 am »

Oooh, this is sweet. I'm waiting for 5.9 SOHO, but this is a very pleasant surprise. Smiley

Any thought on how well this would run on a 486? I've been eying the wonderfully cheap MicroClient JrSX recently.

What BT client is included? I've heard good things about Deluge, thought I haven't tried it out yet myself.
I wouldnt expect anything to run fast on a 486sx, although it should fly on the MicroClient Sr.
There isnt any BT client in Light yet. we have transmission in the repo's though.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 08:30:13 am »

- I don't understand why modules composing VL-Light are on /directories basis instead of application or group of applications basis. None of them is removable so why not a single big one?
I am not sure I understand what this means. Could you explain?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Plume

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »

Uelsk8s,

Sorry  Embarrassed, I was speaking about the live CD in http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/VLocity-SLAX-dsl-puppy-NimbleX.iso, not about the standard version of VL-Light http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-B1.iso.

In the live CD version, there are modules such bin.lzm, usr.lzm etc. It's what I called /directories modules. With this, all are mandatory in order to constitute the OS. It's not a real modular architecture. On the opposite, in a live  CD such Slax, you can remove the KDE module for instance and keep an OS running.

By the way, the true VL-Light as a complete ndiswrapper, which is missing to the live CD version.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »

Another "not necessarily Light specific' issue: On mobo with built-in AC97 sound, about half the time I get long delay on shut down at "shutting down sound driver". Had same issue on 5.8 SOHO where I solved it by disabling ifplugd.
aker

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 01:35:09 pm »

My Synaptics touchpad on this Dell Inspiron 5000 isn't allowing tapping for dragging by default, and I noticed that while mplayer loads in Opera when I load a movie from stage6.com, it doesn't play them at all, just buffers up to 90+% and stops.

Also, my xterm has this really bad blue backround and GIGANTIC fonts.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I'd love for it to be a normal terminal by default.

One more thing that I'm not sure if I should include here or not.  The battery life on this laptop when running VL-Light is very bad.  I'm running through a battery that usually lasts an hour and change in about 20-30 minutes.  It's an old laptop running a mobile P3 600MHz.  I was looking for power management packages but was unable to find any, though I'm pretty much a newbie overall in Linux.  Just hoping this helps out, as I believe VL-Light is the best distribution for hardware such as this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:59:59 am by aker » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: