Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Install hangs: Dell Cpi D300XT VL Standard 5.9  (Read 1426 times)

• BlueBearr's website
Install hangs: Dell Cpi D300XT VL Standard 5.9
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:28:49 pm »

Hey all. I'm trying to install Vector Linux and I'm running into a bit of a problem.

I downloaded and burned the 5.9 Standard iso to a CD and I am installing it on a Dell Cpi D300XT laptop with an 18GB hard drive and 128 MB of RAM (BIOS version A12).  I chose the default kernel (it looks like that is the only one available) and I got to the point where it says "Finding Vector Linux install media".  The install stops here - I've let it go for about ten minutes and it doesn't proceed.  I can hear the CD drive spin for a few minutes, pause, then start spinning again.  Also, if I type anything on the keyboard it will show up as either letters or the key codes (for example, down arrow puts "^[[B") at the bottom of the screen.

I turned off Power Management in the BIOS, but that didn't help.

If I use the CD on my considerably newer eMachines or a Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine, it quickly returns with the prompt to confirm the installation media, so it looks like the CD is working.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
Oddly enough, this is what I do for fun.

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: Install hangs: Dell Cpi D300XT VL Standard 5.9
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:59:35 am »

In my experience that usually means there is a fault with the CDROM drive.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll