VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 04:59:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: x on Mobile Intel 965 express  (Read 1821 times)
sysman

« on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:33 am »

Hi,

I have just very recently purchased a Toshiba laptop with a wide screen (1200x800). Before I actually purchased the computer, I tried out the VL 5.9 live CD & it worked perfectly. On that base, I purchased the computer & also the VL Deluxe 5.9 2 cd set.

Since I wanted a dual boot machine, I installed winxp & then VL Deluxe. The VL install went fine, except that the gui logon & everything that comes after is screwed up: The logon screen is missing graphics & drop down menus etc although I can log on. After logging on I get to the gui, which is almost totally blank - task bar is empty, desktop has no icons, 'start menu' is blank (although you can see where the words should be)

The graphics card is Mobile Intel 965 express.

I tried all sorts of combinations but only once did I get a seemingly normal logon - with 800x600.

Thanks for any suggestions
justinmaurer

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »

I feel your pain sysman. I had the exact same problem happen to me. Does anyone know what it could be, is a configuration problem on our end? Please help!  Huh
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:30:07 pm »

try booting the livecd and copying the working /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the installed system
sysman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:31 pm »

Hi,

1) uelsk8s: I tried that (actually it was suggested by vec7), but didnt help.

2) I just reciently got it working. Very simple actually. In xorg.conf, I added the resolution 1280x800 to all lines where resolutions appear. [ I think that that's all that I did. I actually thought that I tried that previously, but I might have written 1200x800 insted.]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: