VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: x on Mobile Intel 965 express  (Read 2163 times)

sysman

x on Mobile Intel 965 express
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:33 am »

Hi,

I have just very recently purchased a Toshiba laptop with a wide screen (1200x800). Before I actually purchased the computer, I tried out the VL 5.9 live CD & it worked perfectly. On that base, I purchased the computer & also the VL Deluxe 5.9 2 cd set.

Since I wanted a dual boot machine, I installed winxp & then VL Deluxe. The VL install went fine, except that the gui logon & everything that comes after is screwed up: The logon screen is missing graphics & drop down menus etc although I can log on. After logging on I get to the gui, which is almost totally blank - task bar is empty, desktop has no icons, 'start menu' is blank (although you can see where the words should be)

The graphics card is Mobile Intel 965 express.

I tried all sorts of combinations but only once did I get a seemingly normal logon - with 800x600.

Thanks for any suggestions

justinmaurer

Re: x on Mobile Intel 965 express
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:05:41 pm »

I feel your pain sysman. I had the exact same problem happen to me. Does anyone know what it could be, is a configuration problem on our end? Please help!  ???

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:30:07 pm »

try booting the livecd and copying the working /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the installed system

sysman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:57:31 pm »

Hi,

1) uelsk8s: I tried that (actually it was suggested by vec7), but didnt help.

2) I just reciently got it working. Very simple actually. In xorg.conf, I added the resolution 1280x800 to all lines where resolutions appear. [ I think that that's all that I did. I actually thought that I tried that previously, but I might have written 1200x800 insted.]