VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:59:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: old dog, new trick  (Read 2171 times)
kge420

« on: February 13, 2008, 07:42:09 pm »

Hello, I'm new to Linux in general and VL in particular. I got started with linux last year while installing ubuntu on my PS3. That project worked and then my friend gave me this old Toshiba to learn on. He was going to smash it! I bought a 20gb hdd and a 128mb stick of ram and installed VL5.9. So far so good. I have had good luck so far with posting/response of questions on this forum and hopfully on day my 2 cents will help someone just as I am being helped. Keith

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    -Ben Franklin
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:15:34 am »

Hi and welcome, good to see new people and hear their experiences :-)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:57:17 am »

Hi Keith (kge420),

Glad to hear you're trying VL!  In my experience it's the best Linux distribution around, and especially good at making sure good computers don't go to waste (even if they are older).

I've also had good look in getting help on these forums

Welcome!

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »

Hi Keith!

I hope I wasn't to rude in your thread about sharing files  Cheesy but I felt I needed to warn you about proper proceedings. As we say in the Netherlands: Voorzichtigheid is de hoeder van de porseleinkast (Carefulness is the guard of the porcelain cabinet)

If you have any questions about operating your Vector install feel free to ask. As I read you are new, I can well imagine you have a lot of things to get used to. One of the good things about Vector, amongst many others, is the friendly and helpful community. So yeah, I offer you a belated welcome from my part also  Grin
kge420

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »

Freston, no hurt feelings here. Thanks to all for the welcome and the help.  Keith

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    -Ben Franklin
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:12:31 pm »

As we say in the Netherlands: Voorzichtigheid is de hoeder van de porseleinkast (Carefulness is the guard of the porcelain cabinet)
I don't think I have ever heard that, but I've been living in The Netherlands for all my life  Grin.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:01:27 pm »

Hello, I'm new to Linux in general and VL in particular. I got started with linux last year while installing ubuntu on my PS3. That project worked and then my friend gave me this old Toshiba to learn on. He was going to smash it! I bought a 20gb hdd and a 128mb stick of ram and installed VL5.9. So far so good. I have had good luck so far with posting/response of questions on this forum and hopfully on day my 2 cents will help someone just as I am being helped. Keith

Welcome to Vector hope you enjoy and learn lots.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: