VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VLC - codecs?  (Read 1156 times)

TheOne

VLC - codecs?
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:44 am »

My wife got me the first season DVD set of Game of Thrones. I have loaded vl lite onto my Asus  eee 701b pc. I am using a Memorex slimline portable optical drive. When I try to play a DVD I get the following message "File reading failed. VLC could not read file". I know the DVD is good as I watched some of it on the DVD player connected to the TV. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,
Ed

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VLC - codecs?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:31:19 pm »

First thing I would check is that VLC is looking at the correct device, under Media > Open Disc > Disc device

Another way of doing it is to first mount the DVD, then use VLC > Media > Open Directory, and navigate to the mounted VIDEO_TS folder.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:55:17 pm by nightflier »

TheOne

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:51 am »

Sorry for the delay. Been gone for a week. Just got home.
I'm pretty sure the DVD drive is mounted okay because it does play the DVD of a TV program that I burned earlier.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:52 am »

Try upgrading vlc using this package: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/pkg/13.37/vlc-2.1.0-i486-1alien.txz
Download file and install from command line, as user "root", with "installpkg /path/to/vlc-2.1.0-i486-1alien.txz"