VectorLinux
February 27, 2015, 04:23:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VLC - codecs?  (Read 312 times)
TheOne

« on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:44 am »

My wife got me the first season DVD set of Game of Thrones. I have loaded vl lite onto my Asus  eee 701b pc. I am using a Memorex slimline portable optical drive. When I try to play a DVD I get the following message "File reading failed. VLC could not read file". I know the DVD is good as I watched some of it on the DVD player connected to the TV. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,
Ed
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:31:19 pm »

First thing I would check is that VLC is looking at the correct device, under Media > Open Disc > Disc device

Another way of doing it is to first mount the DVD, then use VLC > Media > Open Directory, and navigate to the mounted VIDEO_TS folder.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:55:17 pm by nightflier » Logged
TheOne

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:51 am »

Sorry for the delay. Been gone for a week. Just got home.
I'm pretty sure the DVD drive is mounted okay because it does play the DVD of a TV program that I burned earlier.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:52 am »

Try upgrading vlc using this package: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/pkg/13.37/vlc-2.1.0-i486-1alien.txz
Download file and install from command line, as user "root", with "installpkg /path/to/vlc-2.1.0-i486-1alien.txz"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: