VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: C++ compiler with IDE  (Read 4294 times)

alexmaie

C++ compiler with IDE
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:13:46 am »

Hello i am new to linux and i am wondering if there is a c++ compiler for VL with IDE.
If you know something please write down some instructions (idiot proof) on how to install/setup it

Witek Mozga

• Vectorite
    • Witek Mozga`s Webpages
Re: C++ compiler with IDE
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:31:50 am »

Hello i am new to linux and i am wondering if there is a c++ compiler for VL with IDE.
If you know something please write down some instructions (idiot proof) on how to install/setup it

If you need just compiler and IDE for it then geany will be great.
If you need application building software then install KDevelop for KDE and Anjuta for Gnome/GTK

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:41:55 am »

I think he means a full blown IDE (sort of like the gambas IDE)

Here is a link with a list of many IDE's that work on Linux

Pick your favorite and start tracking down a package

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Devtools/ides.html

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:47:26 am »

Kdevelop with qtdesigner is a nice option if you are thinking of writing QT apps.

Eclipse has plugins for some languages (C++ is there).  Eclipse is a very complete (and bloated IDE). I don't know if the c++ plugin allows you to design interfaces with 'point and click'.  In linux I find a lack on apps helping you to write interfaces.... well just my opinion ;)

HTH

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:31:33 am »

On Linux, compilers and IDE's are usually seperate projects. Your VL install probably already has a C compiler (gcc) and a C++ compiler (gcc-g++). I agree with kidd on kdevelop. Not that I tried any of the other ide's, but I really like kdevelop, and it's easy to install. You should be able to install kdevelop with gslapt or
Code: [Select]
slapt-get --install kdevelop
As for Qtdesigner, it's probably already installed (it comes with the qt package). To start qtdesigner for qt3 use "designer", to start qtdesigner for qt4 use "designer4".
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

voldor

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:57:17 am »

Guys, the better specifically created IDE for c++ is codeblocks[www.codeblocks.org] download the nightly builds, it's really awesome, near to VC++

Edward_

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 06:10:00 pm »

I have this same question.
I'm looking at various C/C++ App builders like CodeLite http://www.codelite.org/ or U++ Framework http://ultimatepp.org/, but they all are specific as to which Linux is used like, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Gentoo, or Arch Linux.

Does this matter?  I thought so.  Isn't Vector based on Slackware?  
I never see Slackware mentioned.

Any suggestions appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:35:16 pm by Edward_ »