VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 03:25:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A SuperUser question (solved)  (Read 1182 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: February 14, 2008, 11:19:24 am »

When I first started using Vl 5.9 Delux  I noticed that after logging in and I'm using kde desktop, when in terminal mode, and I typed  'su', it would automatically enter 'root' without having to enter a password.  This I liked very much since I am the only user on this computer.   It is very convenient not having to enter the password every time.

Sometime recently though, in my dinking around with the system, I must have done something that canceled that great little convenience out.  Does anyone know how to reset it  Huh

reb
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:11:08 pm by reb » Logged

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:34 pm »

echo 'root:reb:NOPASS' >>/etc/suauth

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:31:09 pm »

saulgoode thanks much,

But I'm sitting here chuckling to myself, and AT myself.  It only took me about 4 or 5 different tries before I finally realized that my system has no idea who 'reb' is.  When I finally replaced reb with rebel, it worked like a champ  Grin  thanks again

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: