VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: External HDD's, not that similar to a usb jump drive  (Read 1412 times)

maurolust

• The glass has a 3dB margin
    • Québec to where you once belonged
External HDD's, not that similar to a usb jump drive
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:33 am »

I'm worried about the integrity of my external HDD whenever I remove it. Both in windows and VL I can't make it halt like a pen drive would. At most it disconnects from the system, but I can still hear and feel that the disk inside is running (the green led also should mean something).
I think it's dangerous to unplug it while it's still turning inside (and there's some DC current, since it takes two usb ports to get it running) and it's a pain to shut down every time I need to unplug it. Sometimes there are other people logged on too...
Is there any way to manually halt an external HDD?

PS: I´m talking about a laptop hard drive adapted to an external case and IDE/USB adapter, not an out of-the-shelf external HDD with an on-off button on it.

Thanks, i´ve installed VL recently and I hope it will give me the ways to be the true master of my gear.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: External HDD's, not that similar to a usb jump drive
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:56:19 am »

You shouldn't need to shut the box down to unplug the drive... simply unmount it.
If you're using vl-hot double click the unmount icon on the desktop
if you use HAL, open thunar, and right click on the drive -> select unmount volume
After that to the machine the drive is been disabled, and it's ready to be unplugged

HTH

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46:10 am »

The only real reason for unmounting the drive before unplugging it is to ensure that the cache has been flushed and files properly closed. I don't know of any modern drive that will not self-park when power is removed, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It would be nice if Vector provided a notification as to when the file system has been flushed, since that can be variable (pen drives tend to be slow, so they may take quite a while to finish flushing the cache), but so long as you have unmounted the device and there is no longer any sign of access, it should not be a problem to pull the cable.

paul.

maurolust

• The glass has a 3dB margin
    • Québec to where you once belonged
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »

Thank you two. Uhh... i forgot to mention I´m an Über newby to linux as a whole, so I didn´t really understand the first response. I´m using SOHO 5.8 with kde

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:27:41 pm »

External hard drives do not power down on unmount, only on switching off (if using an AC adapter) or on unplugging (when USB powered).

If using vl-hot, the desktop icons only disappear (and the audible signal is played) after the cache is flushed and the volume unmounted, so it is then safe to power it down. I can't say anything about how hal works though.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10