VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 01:18:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling Vector...  (Read 2009 times)
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« on: February 22, 2008, 11:06:49 am »

I just have a few questions about the way that vector is updated.
I heard tell that you CAN make the distro behave in a similar way to rolling distros like Arch and Debian Sid, would this rumour be correct (it was mentioned in the ubuntu forums...but you know what they say about rumours).

Also, when the next stable version of VL is released (6.0?) at whenever it gets released (I figure sometime next year from the current release cycle) will I be able to upgrade without actually reinstalling the whole system?

Many thanks
Civ

Another reason to love linux:
You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:22:26 am »

I just have a few questions about the way that vector is updated.
I heard tell that you CAN make the distro behave in a similar way to rolling distros like Arch and Debian Sid
I have no idea what you mean by rolling distros. But if you mean distros that are constantly and automatically updated, no. We provide a very stable release and as you may know (all you have to do is browse through various distro's forums) constant updating is both unnecessary and fraught with breakages.
... will I be able to upgrade without actually reinstalling the whole system?
Unlikely, we don't normally provide such a mechanism as they tend to be difficult to implement and difficult to get such working on all types of hardware. However, our installer provides a way to keep your /home partition intact so all your data and settings remain, while you install the new version.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:09:17 pm »

By rolling, I meant in a similar fashion to Arch linux, with updates becoming available as and when they arrive, however you answered my question, and it sounds like a fair answer and the irght one for me...since most of my pc issues have been caused upgrades, lol.

Thank you for your help, it was what I was expecting (I'm no stranger to reinstalls) but as long as I make a partimage backup of the freshly installed root partition I should be fine Wink) and I appreciate the swift reply!

I assure you, with my imminent install of 5.9 I'll be up here complaining/asking for help about something or other Cheesy

In other questions, installing from source...good idea in vector linux, or not? I have libgpod 0.6.0 to install so I can access my ipod with floola and I was wondering...

You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 01:27:32 pm »

Installing from source is easy.  You can also
the repository for additional packages.

HTH

Bigpaws
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:14:48 am »

In other questions, installing from source...good idea in vector linux, or not? I have libgpod 0.6.0 to install so I can access my ipod with floola and I was wondering...
[/quote]

I Have had no problems installing programs from source on Vector.. have had to chase some needed files around the net though..
Cheers!

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:23:41 am »

cheers for the advice, I used vlpackage to make and install libgpod 0.6.0, and I got floola to recognise my ipod, so all is good Cheesy
It looks to me like it's actually easier/better to compile from source, since osme of the apps that I have installed used form the repos (using gslapt) have been a bit buggy...for example, pidgin which came had a few issues when I ran it first, and VLC has been a bit...iffy, as well as not recognising some filetypes, although this may be to do with not having all the  right media codecs installed...mplayer recongises them though which is odd, and I'd rather use vlc tbh...mostly because it dcan convert media files Smiley (easier than ripping from dvd imo, is to watch the film and save the output as an avi or mp4 if its for ipod or psp etc.

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24:15 am »

although this may be to do with not having all the  right media codecs installed...mplayer recongises them though which is odd, and I'd rather use vlc tbh...mostly because it dcan convert media files Smiley (easier than ripping from dvd imo, is to watch the film and save the output as an avi or mp4 if its for ipod or psp etc.
[/quote]

Download the Bonus Disk it has most of the Codecs on it.
Download the ISO here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/MultimediaBonusDisc-RC2.3.iso

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:13:32 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:53:14 am »

That was on my list of things to do to my install of VL, apart from trying out fluxbox and finishing fine tuning xfce to my likings Smiley

I even had an invitation from the guy who maintains it...I feel privileged!

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:01 am »

Download the Bonus Disk it has most of the Codecs on it.
Actually, the codecs probably already come with VL, no need to download and install the bonus disc. VLC is just a tricky b**** to build right.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:16 am »

VLC is just a tricky b**** to build right.

In what respects? Do you mean that it is hard to build packages for VL correctly? or that the installation may have gone awry somewhere?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »

Civint, the installation went fine, many of us experienced troubles with VLC. I think The_Headacher meant that VLC in particular is hard to build. I find VL a very nice ditro for compiling from source, since it has many libs installed by default. A nice approach imho, since VL has not the man power for packaging like many large distros. That said, I think our packagers are making a great job, and I take the chance to say thanks to them.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:46 am »

Do you mean that it is hard to build packages for VL correctly?
Actually, building packages for home use is very easy. For the repo takes a little more work.

I think The_Headacher meant that VLC in particular is hard to build.
correct.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:30:57 am »

sorry, my bad, it was a bit of a 'read error' on my part there, reading VLC as VL, haha. I agree that building packages is very easy. I just installed prboom for my old school fps kicks the other day, haha, so many congratulations to those who made the automation so damned easy!

I also must apologise for my poor use of BBCode   Embarrassed

I shall have to find myself another way of encoding video for the moment, unless I decide to compile from source...

Any way, thankyou for all your help, but I think we can safely say that all Civint noob questions have been answered here, and very promptly, thankyou VERY much!

civ

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: