VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 09:50:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL LOGO  (Read 8142 times)
maurolust

The glass has a 3dB margin

« on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:34 am »

Does the  VL logo mean anything? All I see is a stylish "V" with a globe on the background, am I missing something? Why is the V shaped like that? Shoud it look like anything or was it meant to be sleek? I´m asking this because it appears all over the desktop, sorry.

Did this change anyone´s mind about not being there stupid questions?  Wink
Some other constructive criticism I have, the amount of default installed software is quite overwhelming, confuses new users. Nobody needs 4 different web browsers. I don´t mean to be annoying, I´m just giving you some feedback on my first impressions.
thanks.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:25:49 am »

You don't have to install all 4 browsers... 
For those wanting to have a simple system and willing to build their own one, vl-light (and vl-mini, if I understand correctly) are in the oven...

Don't know the motto of the VL logo, but I do like it. That V is great.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:33:09 am »

The V was designed to be sleek.

The globe iirc was due to having users all over the
world.

The only stupid question is the one that was not asked.

Bigpaws
maurolust

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »

The question came to my mind when I realized there was a hidden "C" in Carrefour´s Grin logo
Well, if the V´s shape doesn´t relly mean anything, I would suggest changing "something" about the logo. It just looks too shiny, like a metal blade. And the globe... well every open source project has users from the whole planet.

I think there are a few changes that could make the logo look better while keeping the essence of it. Less colour contrasts, for instance. I´m no artist myself.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:44:07 pm »

In the past I've stated my feelings on the logo, but as it turns out most VL users like it.  Metvas will be in here in just a moment telling us all that the logo remains the way it is - no questions Grin.  Personally, I think there is a much better logo out there for us.

Some say it's "swept back serifs" or something like that.  Probably from the days VL used an 'at the speed of light' slogan (i.e. moving really fast things gets that swept back effect) - get it? Wink.  The globe thing I thing is alright; it can be worked with.

4 browsers, more like 5: Opera, Firefox, Seamonkey, Dillo, lynx.  I use Opera and lynx except for those occasional times Opera doesn't work in which case I use Firefox or Seamonkey; whichever my fingers type at the time.  So I can certainly see the need for AT LEAST 3 browsers.  Opera is an optional install (I think) during the install so you could leave it off if you'd like.  I would prefer to have a couple browsers too many than one browser not enough; it's easier for me to remove one than to obtain another.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:17:44 pm »

Sometimes I find that Opera will display certain web sites better than Firefox or Seamonkey.  I almost always use Firefox, but on those occasions I use Opera as a backup.  I rarely use Dillo or lynx on my main machine, but I have an older machine which I use when my main machine is down for some reason (happens from time to time).  Dillo and/or lynx can be useful then.  So I don't suppose I need all of them, but it can be nice to have them, just like it can be nice to choose between OO Writer and AbiWord depending on what I'm doing.

As for the logo ... I hardly ever think about it.  Now that I think about, it's pretty nice; I prefer it to a hat, a lizard, or a stylized logo of people holding hands in a circle.  Grin

Just my two cents.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 03:37:22 pm »

I prefer it to a hat, a lizard, or a stylized logo of people holding hands in a circle.  Grin
So true, so true!!
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 12:13:01 am »

I prefer it to a hat, a lizard, or a stylized logo of people holding hands in a circle.  Grin
So true, so true!!

Well its nice and distinctive and I think we should stick with it, brand recognition and all that.   
maurolust

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:36:47 pm »

All right, I lose!  Tongue
It just feels awfull to realize all those minutes that were lost while searching for the underlying image or letter have been wasted.  Cry
So true, so true!!

Well its nice and distinctive and I think we should stick with it, brand recognition and all that.   

Oh, now it's too much. You can't really prefer initials to heraldics. And the cute animals makes linux users look less like maniacs. Suse's lizard isn't exactly cute, but well... whatever. What really gets to me is the shiny blade aspect of it. It looks so aggressive, sometimes I even see the blood dripping from the "V".  Grin
I'm sure there are ways to make the logo look much better without making it noticeable to the ones who like it the way it is. Logos change: MS, Apple, Cisco... they change their logos and you don´t even notice. Maybe you don't want to conquer the potencial users who judge the book by the cover, but a better image really makes a difference.
By the way, the home page looks a lot better now. I really like it. 
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 09:33:11 am »

Just to clarify, and I know we're having some fun with this now, so keep that in mind:

1) I like the SUSE lizard ... it is cute.
2) I don't have anything against the Red Hat/Fedora hat.  It's distinctive and distinguished.
3) I don't particularly like the Ubuntu logo, but I don't hate it.  It just seems kind of bland to me.

I do like the VL logo, but I wouldn't mind if it changed.  Say, for example, if the VL team changed to logo to Tux in a race car ... that would be fine with me.  Even if they changed it to a stylized circle of penguins holding wings I wouldn't mind.  It's really the distro that I prefer over those others.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:02 pm »

Here is how it works and I cannot stress it enough. When your eyes are aching and watering from looking at it. The general public maybe has seen it once. Bit like a band member, the same stuff over and over and over, to the first time listener sounds great to the performer they are ready to rolf if they hear it again. That is how a logo is recognized by the public. Same old stuff over and over and over. Vector is recognized by the logo long before the name is even mentioned. Change it and we loose that. I am not against a change I am against loosing more than we can gain back by changing it.
Suggest a fix for this and I am all for a change. If General Electric changed there logo in a publication to Electric General and gold instead of blue would you recognize it? Most likely not. Same applies to us.
Thanks
regards
metvas

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 12:49:39 pm »

metvas:

That makes complete sense to me.  I started using VL with 5.1, and have stayed with it since.  Though I personally wouldn't care about a logo change, I can see that other people might be confused by something like that.  The distinctive "V" means Vector Linux.  The more people see it, the more they will associate it with VL.

Thanks for clarifying things.

Tom

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 08:31:32 am »

Does the  VL logo mean anything? All I see is a stylish "V" with a globe on the background, am I missing something? Why is the V shaped like that? Shoud it look like anything or was it meant to be sleek? I´m asking this because it appears all over the desktop, sorry.

"Does the VL logo mean anything?"   YES, It identifies VectorLinux.  That is its Job, its purpose, amd it does it very effectively.

"All I see is a sytlish "V" with a globe on the background, am I missing something".   Obviously you are, or you could  use your imagination and       
     see what ever your little heart desires. 

"Why is the V shaped like that?".  Now that is a good question.  It seems that someone a long long time ago decided that what a V should look 
     like, and that is what it looks like to this day.

"Should it look like something?"  Duhhhh, yeah,  It should look like a V. 

"Was it meant  to be sleek?.  I believe the designer meant it to blend tastefully with its surroundings, and as far as I am concerned, it does.

"I'm asking this because it appears all over the desktop".  Simple solution.  Design your own desktop, then we will all be happy.

Epilogue:  The Vector Logo is attractive in a world of logos.  It positively identifies the Vector Linus distor and it serves its purpose admirably.
                 Now if you have any further questions that deserves more attention than an epitaph on a restroom wall, please ask them.  I'm sure
                someone will be willing to asnwer them.

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
maurolust

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:51 pm »

Reb: Please don't hurt me, I swear I won't do this again. Cry
OK, I didn't mean to make anyone angry but I take responsibility if I have, sorry. There is another more serious discussion about this (logo) issue right herehttp://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=98.0 and that's where I should have posted my views on the logo in the first place (or not have posted at all). I gave my views as a new user, and I am sure this kind of feedback is useful (even though it may be annoying). Of course I'm not expecting anyone to change everything just because some new guy said so.

Metvas and Tomh38: I agree with you in most points, it's in the weighing of gains and losses from a slight logo change that we seem to disagree.

I could go even further: I imagined (maybe I'm wrong) the name "Vector Linux" refers to this kind of vector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_%28biology%29). So there would be many better ways of representing the concept of a vector besides a mere "V". The first time I read a review on VL, the only negative aspect mentioned was regarding the amateur looks of the desktop.

Vector gets a mention in Linux User and Developer issue 63.  It gets a 4 out of 5 herring rating... or rather 5.1 Standard RC4 Live CD does.

They sum it up with the pros and cons thus:

Pros: Fast and lively, runs well without tweeking, decent GUI admin tools, good hardware recognition routines, excellent and well rounded choice of applications.

Cons: Poor documentation, amateur desktop design and installation glitches mar an otherwise excellent product.

The reviewer really do not like the look of it "The desktop in each case is themed in identical blue VectorLinux manner, with ugly icons and rather obtrusive styling which could well rival other OSes in terms of poor aesthetic judgement,"

Personally I like the default wallpapers and others have praised them as looking good, so I think aesthetics are clearly a matter of taste.

Everytime I mention VL to someone who's thinking about migrating to linux (in this case I would be the vector trying to spread VL) I get that 'never heard of it' look, so I figured first impressions are important in this case. Actually, slightly changing the logo every once in a while doesn't really shock anyone that much. Just compare Cisco's new and old logo, for example. It looks new without shocking. I'm sure the design of a logo isn't the most complex task when developping a linux distro. It is, of course a matter of taste. I wasn't planning on posting more about this, but I really think I have a point when I like the distro as a whole but it doesn't impress others because it looks outdated. No need for anyone to think I just want to raise arguments. I'm not writing on this thread again, thanks.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 08:35:22 pm »

mauro, I think most folks took your point as expected; reb(el) being the exception - then again his/her name would indicate they are the exception more often than not Cheesy.  Unless a post will prove you an idiot, there's no reason to "not do it again".  Issues/suggestions can (and need to) be brought up from time to time to keep us all striving for better.  For example, the issue of a smaller, lighter-weight VL distro than Standard was brought up several times and each time it was shot down except the last time --> Enter VectorLinux Light.  So we are not opposed to change, it just takes time and strong consideration.  As you pointed out, the "logo change" suggestion has been brought up a few times (even on old, destroyed boards) so this is nothing new to folks that have been around a while.  As times change, so must we - a logo change is inevitable it's just a matter of when the next when gets developed.

Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: