VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Do I need a login for the live CD? (Solved)  (Read 1127 times)

Busy

• Yuck!
Do I need a login for the live CD? (Solved)
« on: February 07, 2008, 02:05:15 pm »

I'm trying to use VL5.8-std LIVE cd, but it just boots up to the point where it asks me for a login and password. Is there a default login to use the CD or something? How do I set up accounts on it?

Also, does the live cd have more limited drivers than a standard install? My older IBM thinkpad is currently running an older version of VL SOHO, but it doesn't get very far when trying to boot with the live cd. I can't even get to the login screen I mentioned above.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:24:42 pm by Busy »
Running VL 5.9 Standard Gold

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: Do I need a login for the live CD?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:24:28 pm »

Busy

login for Live CD:  user:  vl,  password:  vector

If I remember correctly.

To set up permanent accounts, you'll need to install to a hard drive partition (I don't know if you can set up accounts just while running the Live CD).

I don't know what drivers the Live CD has. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:27:38 pm by tomh38 »
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

Busy

• Yuck!
Re: Do I need a login for the live CD?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:21 pm »

Login worked great for just using bash, but I can't get XFCE going, it just spits errors at me when I try.

Also I think I was using the beta for 5.9, maybe that has something to do with it?

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: Do I need a login for the live CD? (Solved)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »

You might want to try the final for 5.9, though I don't think the Live CD version is finished yet.

What kind of errors are you getting when you try to start XFCE?  It could very well be a problem with the X server.

Please post more information.  There are a lot of people who visit these forums who know more about these things than I do; it's likely that one of them will be more able to help you.
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

Busy

• Yuck!
Re: Do I need a login for the live CD? (Solved)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »

I managed to get it to work on one of my computers. I'm trying to do an install of 5.9 now on my laptop (the one I want to keep it on)

So far so good...

Edit -- The first try I got "Something went wrong, don't panic!!" So I panicked. I think it was some kind of write error. After trying again it worked great - go figure!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:45:18 pm by Busy »