VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 09:27:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a login for the live CD? (Solved)  (Read 998 times)
Busy

Yuck!

« on: February 07, 2008, 02:05:15 pm »

I'm trying to use VL5.8-std LIVE cd, but it just boots up to the point where it asks me for a login and password. Is there a default login to use the CD or something? How do I set up accounts on it?

Also, does the live cd have more limited drivers than a standard install? My older IBM thinkpad is currently running an older version of VL SOHO, but it doesn't get very far when trying to boot with the live cd. I can't even get to the login screen I mentioned above.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:24:42 pm by Busy » Logged

Running VL 5.9 Standard Gold
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:24:28 pm »

Busy

login for Live CD:  user:  vl,  password:  vector

If I remember correctly.

To set up permanent accounts, you'll need to install to a hard drive partition (I don't know if you can set up accounts just while running the Live CD).

I don't know what drivers the Live CD has. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:27:38 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Busy

Yuck!

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:21 pm »

Login worked great for just using bash, but I can't get XFCE going, it just spits errors at me when I try.

Also I think I was using the beta for 5.9, maybe that has something to do with it?

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »

You might want to try the final for 5.9, though I don't think the Live CD version is finished yet.

What kind of errors are you getting when you try to start XFCE?  It could very well be a problem with the X server.

Please post more information.  There are a lot of people who visit these forums who know more about these things than I do; it's likely that one of them will be more able to help you.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Busy

Yuck!

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »

I managed to get it to work on one of my computers. I'm trying to do an install of 5.9 now on my laptop (the one I want to keep it on)

So far so good...

Edit -- The first try I got "Something went wrong, don't panic!!" So I panicked. I think it was some kind of write error. After trying again it worked great - go figure!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:45:18 pm by Busy » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: