VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 07:58:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't listen to internet radio!  (Read 3258 times)
luvis8

« on: February 17, 2008, 09:10:14 am »

Hi All,
I have searched the forums for a solution to this problem but didn't find one.
I've been trying to listen to internet radio but without any luck.
When I click on the "listen to" button, Firefox or SeaMonkey both give me the option of Open With or Save (Save being the default).
When I pick Open With,  I am not presented with any programs to select and I don't know where to look for them.
Could someone please tell me where I can find them and which program to select, or which program to download via Gslapt and where to find it once it is installed?

Many thanks in advance.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:15:28 am »

Could you post a link so we can try to work it out?
 Smiley

Edit: Also your VL version.
cat /etc/vector-version
luvis8

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:27:58 pm »

The site I like listening to is:

www.sky.fm

And in true Newbie fashion I just figured out what to do.
According to sky.fm, for Linux users they recommend a program called VLC.

Well after much searching I found it and told Firefox to always use it when opening these types of files.

To answer your other question I am using:

Vector Linux 5.8.6 SOHO Release Candidate 1   Aug-01-2007

I did not see a 5.9 SOHO version, only Standard and my understanding is that SOHO  is more geared toward full desktops while Standard is a leaner version for older hardware.

Is this true or should I be upgrading to 5.9?
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:44:33 pm »

It's playing fine on my 5.9 .

standard is leaner than SOHO, but it's pretty usable, and you can install programs you miss with slapt-get / gslapt.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 03:44:53 pm »

Works well for me with VL5.9.  But to play without any hassle I choose windows media and mplayer plugin fires right up.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:00:06 pm »

Vector Linux 5.8.6 SOHO Release Candidate 1   Aug-01-2007

I did not see a 5.9 SOHO version, only Standard and my understanding is that SOHO  is more geared toward full desktops while Standard is a leaner version for older hardware.
I'd like to point out that the 5.8.6 SOHO you got yourself is an unstable and discontinued product. For a better quality SOHO get the 5.8 SOHO .

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:16:28 pm »

I've been trying to listen to internet radio but without any luck.
When I click on the "listen to" button, Firefox or SeaMonkey both give me the option of Open With or Save (Save being the default).
When I pick Open With,  I am not presented with any programs to select and I don't know where to look for them.
Could someone please tell me where I can find them and which program to select, or which program to download via Gslapt and where to find it once it is installed?

If you don't want to use the MPlayer plugin in Firefox or SeaMonkey, you can use the Browse button next to the Open With screen and go to /usr/bin. There will usually be a link to an executable for any media player on the system.

The MPlayer plugin works pretty well for most media types.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »

my understanding is that SOHO  is more geared toward full desktops while Standard is a leaner version for older hardware.

Is this true or should I be upgrading to 5.9?

Both SOHO and Standard give you a full desktop with applications for most things most users want to do. SOHO uses KDE, Standard uses XFce by default and includes Fluxbox if you want something even lighter or you prefer something very unWindows-like.

Standard is quite suitable for older hardware but by no means primarily for older hardware. A number of us are running Standard by choice on very modern dual core processors with lots of RAM. Standard gives you a solid base on which you can build the system *you* prefer without dealing with lots of KDE applications you may never use or that duplicate other programs on the system.

You can add KDE from the repos to Standard if you wish. kdelibs comes with 5.9 Standard. I've added kdebase and KOffice (with whatever dependencies it has), but I prefer Xfce for my desktop.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: