VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:50:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting ready for Vector Linux  (Read 7293 times)
becleave

« on: February 19, 2008, 11:43:14 am »

I first tried vector linux last october when i d/l the standard edition . At the time, was looking for alternatives
to no longer supported win 98 and winme.The first install was on a p4 computer, not a laptop.
 The only problem i encountered was screen resolution ...refresh rates were wrong for a crt.
A quick search on google found the answer, somewhere in this forum.
I started out with Dos , so i am not afraid of occasional command line computing.
Okay, recently i have run out of hard disk space on my main computer, which is a dual-boot
WinMe and WinXP . Since ME is no longer supported byM$ , i want to go with VectorLinux Soho final and XP>
I tried some other Linux distros, but Vector is going to be sufficient for my needs .
Basic needs will be websurfing, occasional picture editing , and sharing files with XP via a
fat32 partition.
 The setup will be:
Intel D865GLC  socket 478 motherboard,
1.5 GB DDR ram,
WD 250GB eide HD ,
Radeon 9250 256MB 8x AGP video,
17" NEC MultiSync XE17 monitor (only has 3 video modes:640x480,600x800,and1024x768?)
SB Audigy value soundcard,
1.44 floppy,
Tosh 16x DVD-ROM,
Lite-On 16x DVD-RW.
 This is a home built computer, and its worked great for over a year now.I am the builder,BTW.
Questions -
 I want to make a 60 GB partition for VectorLinux SOHO,
100GB Fat32 (for sharing documents,etc)
and the rest of disk space for XP .
Simple question - Is a 60GB partition okay ?
Would there be any known problems with sound or video ?
 Like said, all it needs to do is surf the internet with firefox, and some picture viewing/editing .
I'm short on time right now, so i will just post this up and see if any responses later.

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final for two years.
NOW , VL 6.0 KDE Classic

Intel 865 motherboard
3.0 ghz P4 with HT
2gb 400 ddr
Dual-boot XP and Vector Linux 6.0 KDE
ATI 9250 Radeon 256MB vram
WD 320GB HD
DVD-ROM and DVD-RW
Floppy, old 3com NIC
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:39:23 pm »

Your specs should be fine.

The ATI video drivers are better now so that should not
be a problem.

The 100 Gig Fat32 can be a problem. You will need
a program that will format for something that big. Offical
Fat32 support form MS is 32 Gig.

The 60 Gig will do fine, the install and programs will
use around 8 Gigs if you add alot.

If can get Fat32 great or another option is to use NTFS which
many claim has no problems reading and writing. I have not used
that type of setup much.

HTH

Bigpaws
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »

The ATI video drivers are better now so that should not
be a problem.

I am replying on a p4 with an ATI 9250 video card in it. The proprietary drivers are definitely the way to go with this card. Not everyone gets this card to live up to expectations. It does work. Just not as well as it should.

My card is a PCI card and I get better performance out of it with Vec 5.8 than I do with 5.9. It does not play well with the newer version of xorg in 5.9. This is not always the case though. My trolling the web has revealed people either get it to work or they don't. I think most of the people getting it to work to maximum have the AGP version so you should be okay.

Really the only case where it becomes a problem for me is trying to run compiz. So if your not trying that don't worry.

Since ME is no longer supported byM$
I still occasionally run a stripped down version of ME on an old P1. The neat thing about it is that since MS doesn't support it it doesn't seem to get attacked! I wouldn't do any banking on it. A firewall or anti virus program would bring this machine to a screeching halt but it always seems to run fine.

i want to go with VectorLinux Soho final and XP
I give you six months before you ditch your XP partition.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »

The 100 Gig Fat32 can be a problem. You will need a program that will format for something that big. Offical Fat32 support form MS is 32 Gig.

This statement needs some qualification. With Win Me or Win 98, you can format a FAT32 drive way bigger than 32 gigs. Formatting 100 gigs is no problem. But with W2K or XP, the limit you can format with the XP formatting tool is 32 gigs. So if you can use a non-NT MS operating system to format the 60 gigs, XP will use it fine and see all of it. (W2K is NTFS 5.0 and XP is NTFS 5.1. Vista is NTFS 6.) I formatted 100 gigs in FAT32 on one of my XP computers, but I think I used Partition Commander to do the formatting. I don't remember, though.

If can get Fat32 great or another option is to use NTFS which many claim has no problems reading and writing. I have not used that type of setup much.

If you use ntfs-3g in /etc/fstab for an NTFS drive, you can read and write to it. Before ntfs-3g, reading an NTFS drive was no problem but writing to it was very risky and could hose the drive's file system. I do use ntfs-3g on my NTFS drives and haven't had problems, but I rarely write to them. I prefer to use FAT32 for file sharing because there's no risk, but when I absolutely have to write to an NTFS drive, I feel pretty safe with ntfs-3g.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:32:54 pm »

I give you six months before you ditch your XP partition.

Don't be so sure.<g> I've had dual boots with XP for over five years and will never ditch my XP partitions. The reason is that I use some software that has no Linux equivalents and some software that works better and is much more user friendly than Linux software that does roughly the same thing. When I need to use those, I boot into XP.

And then there are those Web sites whose videos won't work with anything but Windows. I boot into Windows for those.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:07:04 am »

I use some software that has no Linux equivalents and some software that works better
Most of us probably do. But Wine, although not perfect, has met all of my needs in this regard.

there are those Web sites whose videos won't work with anything but Windows
Have you tried IEs4Linux? I have to access a site optimized for IE that will not render correctly in any other browser. IEs4Linux works very well but I had some issues with the security features that require the java virtual machine.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:00:26 pm »

Most of us probably do. But Wine, although not perfect, has met all of my needs in this regard.

Alas, this has not been true for me. If Wine could do it, I'd be using Linux all the time instead of most of the time. Wine does well with a few of my important applications (American Heritage Dictionary, MasterCook II [VERY important that it works], Family Origins). But my greeting card programs? Forget it!

I have to access a site optimized for IE that will not render correctly in any other browser. IEs4Linux works very well but I had some issues with the security features that require the java virtual machine.

I'm thinking of sites that require Windows (IE or Firefox, but running in Windows) to display videos. There are at least two TV networks whose programs you can't watch with a Linux browser. Do those work with IEs4Linux?
--GrannyGeek

alec

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:33:03 am »

Yes, I suggest filesharing partition to be NTFS. I have a big NTFS partition with all music, movies, documents.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:28:31 am »

GrannyGeek

Which TV networks only work in IE?  I'd like to know because I want to see if I can get them to work in IEs4Linux.

Thanks,

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 09:38:41 am »

Yes, I suggest filesharing partition to be NTFS. I have a big NTFS partition with all music, movies, documents.
Actually I have always used fat32 for that, it's only about a year ago that read/write on NTFS is reliable from Linux. As long as you don't have files bigger than 4 GiB on it you should be fine. I'm not saying you should do what I did, just saying there's more than one option.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
becleave

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:26:20 pm »

Thank you for the replies. As for partitions -
I haven't seen any 'upper limits' on Linux partitions,
so that was the basis of my question.
The plan is to use the WD Data Lifeguard CD to partition
for XP and fat32 .Realistically, I only need a 60GB share partition, the rest is a for future data.
 On the other hand, NTFS would not be a problem when both OSes can read/write to the drive.
InTheWoods - the cool thing about ME is the ability
to run old software . I still play a dos version of
Scrabble that came on a floppy disk(copied to HD) !
XP will run the game, but only from the 'run' command.That's an extreme example, yet I still use basic software for most of my tasks -
Wordpad,Moviemaker,DirectCut,and most of my games are
 from the early 2000s as well.
My reasons for keeping a windows environment is for gaming . It's a pain, b/c I have to start with
SP1, then install patches, then SP2, and on and on..
I will be looking at Linux  for HTML editors,FTP,mp3 editors, etc,
and take my time easing into the environment.
One thing forgotten was my network connection:
using a trusty 3com pci 10/100 card.
Well, it will be monday when all the 'fun' begins ..

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final for two years.
NOW , VL 6.0 KDE Classic

Intel 865 motherboard
3.0 ghz P4 with HT
2gb 400 ddr
Dual-boot XP and Vector Linux 6.0 KDE
ATI 9250 Radeon 256MB vram
WD 320GB HD
DVD-ROM and DVD-RW
Floppy, old 3com NIC
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 02:22:25 pm »

becleave
Given that you play old dos games you may like this site
http://www.dosbox.com/information.php?page=0
And here is another possibility
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/linux/howtos/dos/
Here is a site for more modern games. I used their "how to" to setup "counter strike".
http://www.linux-gamers.net/

It's a pain, b/c I have to start with SP1, then install patches, then SP2, and on and on.
Go to the site below and download SP2. It's cumulative. Store it any where even on a Linux partition and you can use it whenever you need to reinstall XP. WITHOUT CONNECTING TO THE MS SITE!
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

Wordpad is a part of wine. Or rather wine has a Wordpad like app built into it. Install wine Open a terminal emulator and type
Code:
wine wordpad

Moviemaker. Now thats a hard one. More than one person has tried to copy Moviemaker files into wine. Nobody to my knowledge has made it work. You can do more with video in Linux but it is way harder to do at the start. As usuall their are many promising projects under way but right now you generally have to use several pieces of software to get the job done.

I will be looking at Linux  for HTML editors,FTP,mp3 editors, etc
Lots of stuff available. But I have to admit I still use 1stPage 2000 with wine because I don't do much HTML and I've been to lazy to learn Bluefish.

trusty 3com pci 10/100 card.
If you had a dinosaur with an EISA card that would be a problem. But any PCI card should be fine.

One last point to consider before you jump in. Split your Linux partition in two. 5Gigs for a root partition and 55Gigs for a /home partition.

If your anything like me you will keep playing with you new toy until you brake it. Unlike windows you can then reinstall and still have all of your personal files still intact. However don't expect that you can install another Linux distro and save those files. I tried that with DreamLinux with disastrous results.

@ GrannyGeek
TV networks whose programs you can't watch with a Linux browser

I would reiterate tomh38's request. I too would like to try this. And for comparison can you name one that you know works in Linux as I have never tried this.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 02:49:33 pm »

becleave

Just a few things ...

For HTML editing you can Seamonkey Composer (should be already installed) or Kompozer (it's in the repositories).  Both are "What You See Is What You Get."  Depending on your needs you might find them satisfactory.  Then there's Bluefish if you want to do more direct editing.

For an FTP client, you should already have gFTP installed.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 10:37:04 pm »

I just now tried watching a full episode of TV shows on the four US major networks. The only one that will play an episode when I use Linux Firefox is NBC. At ABC.com I tried to watch an episode of Ugly Betty. I got this message:

OOPS!
Our new video player is only available for:
Windows 2000/XP/Vista - Internet Explorer, Firefox
Mac - Firefox, Safari
To watch, please download the appropriate browser.

At CBS.com I tried to watch an episode of Big Bang Theory. I clicked on the show and a screen came up, but nothing happened. There was a settings button. I clicked it and was presented with a choice of Flash (Installed) or Windows Media Player (Not Installed). I picked Flash but nothing happened. The show didn't play. Then I tried selecting Windows Media Player but MPlayer Plugin didn't start and the site didn't recognize it or play the show. At Fox.com I tried to watch a full episode of Bones. You have to use their media player and when I tried to install it, I got this message:

"We're sorry, but only the following browsers are supported on your operating system at this time:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
    * Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or later"

Of course, I was using Firefox 1.5 or later, but their media player is Windows-only.

Let me know if you can get CBS, ABC, or Fox whole episodes to play in anything under Linux. I'm not talking about little Flash movies on some news story, but full episodes of prime-time shows.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 10:43:02 pm »

at CBS try anything but The big bang theory I am watching CSI now
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: