VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Easy way to upgrade from 5.8.6 SOHO to 5.8 SOHO Final?  (Read 2382 times)

luvis8

Easy way to upgrade from 5.8.6 SOHO to 5.8 SOHO Final?
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:01:24 pm »

Hi All,
Is there an easy way to upgrade from 5.8.6 SOHO to 5.8 SOHO Final?

Could I simply "upgrade all" in Gslapt?
I've read in an old posting that you shouldn't upgrade everything, is this still true?

Am I going to have to do a complete clean reinstall to upgrade to 5.8 SOHO Final?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:05:01 pm by luvis8 »

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: Easy way to upgrade from 5.8.6 SOHO to 5.8 SOHO Final?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:46:59 am »

Is there an easy way to upgrade from 5.8.6 SOHO to 5.8 SOHO Final?

Could I simply "upgrade all" in Gslapt?
no, I don't think so.
Am I going to have to do a complete clean reinstall to upgrade to 5.8 SOHO Final?
Yes, I think that's the safest, easiest and fastest way.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:46:15 pm »

To keep your settings, customizations, and data, you can back up your \home directory. If you copy it to a Linux-formatted drive, the permissions will be kept if you specify that. If you copy it yto a non-Linux formatted medium, they will be lost. However, You can tar the home directory to preserve ownership and permissions. You also have to untar with modifications so the ownership and permissions persist.

I wouldn't just replace the new installation's home directory with the one you saved, but would replace just the files that included my customizations. I often will rename the new subdirectory with <name>_old, copy the old subdirectory of the same name to the new home directory, and see if everything is working. That way I can delete the copied directory if need be and rename the original directory on the new installation.

You should do the backup by booting a LiveCD or a SystemRescue CD and backing up the \home directory that's on your hard drive.

I got this command from some message on some forum (maybe this one). It should work and keep the permissions. It creates the tar file in the /tmp directory. You could then move the file to a FAT32 drive, a Linux-formatted drive, burn it to a CD, or copy it to a flash drive that's large enough.

tar cpO /home/username|lzma >/tmp/backup.tlz

I hope this isn't too confusing.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:19:27 pm »

The way I would go about this is to install from CD and not upgrade via gslapt. You are offered options to select a /home partition and not format it. Run the installation as normal, when you are finally prompted about resetting configurations in your ~/home, you can select which ones to reset (take care to check the list and not just select everything,,, you may not want it to reset your Opera , if you have bookmarks that you  do not want to lose.)

The downside of this method is that applications you may already have installed will need to be reinstalled again if they weren't included on the CD.

The upside is that you still have all of your personal files from your ~/home directory, without the complicated steps of backing it up (although it's good practice to make backups, just to be safe, but I've never lost my /home stuff using this method). Plus many of your application's settings stay in tact.

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »

But 5.8.6 SOHO was a newer development than than 5.8 SOHO Final (think 5.8.0 here). However, 5.8.6 was canceled and remained at the beta stage, though it works pretty good and stable.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:23:17 am »

Good point there Joe1962 . I was thinking maybe they accidentally put the numbers backwards in the question  :) .

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:36:26 am »

However, 5.8.6 was canceled and remained at the beta stage, though it works pretty good and stable.
These were the reasons why I discouraged the use of 5.8.6 in a previous post. It's
- canceled
- unstable
- not fully compatible with 5.8
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.