VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:41:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: External HDD's, not that similar to a usb jump drive  (Read 1237 times)
maurolust

The glass has a 3dB margin

« on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:33 am »

I'm worried about the integrity of my external HDD whenever I remove it. Both in windows and VL I can't make it halt like a pen drive would. At most it disconnects from the system, but I can still hear and feel that the disk inside is running (the green led also should mean something).
I think it's dangerous to unplug it while it's still turning inside (and there's some DC current, since it takes two usb ports to get it running) and it's a pain to shut down every time I need to unplug it. Sometimes there are other people logged on too...
Is there any way to manually halt an external HDD?

PS: I´m talking about a laptop hard drive adapted to an external case and IDE/USB adapter, not an out of-the-shelf external HDD with an on-off button on it.

Thanks, i´ve installed VL recently and I hope it will give me the ways to be the true master of my gear.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:56:19 am »

You shouldn't need to shut the box down to unplug the drive... simply unmount it.
If you're using vl-hot double click the unmount icon on the desktop
if you use HAL, open thunar, and right click on the drive -> select unmount volume
After that to the machine the drive is been disabled, and it's ready to be unplugged

HTH

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:46:10 am »

The only real reason for unmounting the drive before unplugging it is to ensure that the cache has been flushed and files properly closed. I don't know of any modern drive that will not self-park when power is removed, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It would be nice if Vector provided a notification as to when the file system has been flushed, since that can be variable (pen drives tend to be slow, so they may take quite a while to finish flushing the cache), but so long as you have unmounted the device and there is no longer any sign of access, it should not be a problem to pull the cable.

paul.
maurolust

The glass has a 3dB margin

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »

Thank you two. Uhh... i forgot to mention I´m an Über newby to linux as a whole, so I didn´t really understand the first response. I´m using SOHO 5.8 with kde
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:27:41 pm »

External hard drives do not power down on unmount, only on switching off (if using an AC adapter) or on unplugging (when USB powered).

If using vl-hot, the desktop icons only disappear (and the audible signal is played) after the cache is flushed and the volume unmounted, so it is then safe to power it down. I can't say anything about how hal works though.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: