VectorLinux
September 15, 2014, 04:33:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO 64?  (Read 852 times)
Venturer

« on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:55 am »

Hi, I've been trying to make the switch to Linux, and I like what I'm reading about VL, especially SOHO with KDE.
However, one of my requirements in searching for a distro that suits me is 64bit architecture.

Any idea when a 64 bit SOHO will be released?

(Just some fun additional information, I've been trying Fedora Core 8 64bit, and I find it relatively slow and clunky for my purposes, even  running Athlon64 3500+ with 3GB RAM.)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:09:42 am »

I'm not one of the developers or packagers, but ...

1)  Have you looked at the development thread for VL Standard 64-bit:  http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3454.0?  The thread gives a pretty good idea of how 64-bit is going for VL.  Whether or not there will even be a 64-bit VL SOHO might depend on how well the Standard version goes, and whether or not users want a SOHO version.

2)  In the mean time, have you tried VL SOHO 5.8, or VL Standard 5.9 for 32-bit (you can install KDE on it)?  I also have a 64-bit architecture, and VL 5.9 (32-bit) is very fast on my machine.  With your specs I think you'll probably find it much faster than Fedora Core 8 64-bit.

3)  In my experience, VL is the fastest Linux distro there is that isn't stripped down to the bare bones (a la Damn Small Linux or something like that).

4)  I don't know what your needs are, so I don't know if VL in any form is right for you.  Probably the best way to find out would be to free up a partition and give it a whirl.

All the best, regardless of what you end up using,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: