VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: SOHO 64?  (Read 951 times)

Venturer

SOHO 64?
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:55 am »

Hi, I've been trying to make the switch to Linux, and I like what I'm reading about VL, especially SOHO with KDE.
However, one of my requirements in searching for a distro that suits me is 64bit architecture.

Any idea when a 64 bit SOHO will be released?

(Just some fun additional information, I've been trying Fedora Core 8 64bit, and I find it relatively slow and clunky for my purposes, even  running Athlon64 3500+ with 3GB RAM.)

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: SOHO 64?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:09:42 am »

I'm not one of the developers or packagers, but ...

1)  Have you looked at the development thread for VL Standard 64-bit:  http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3454.0?  The thread gives a pretty good idea of how 64-bit is going for VL.  Whether or not there will even be a 64-bit VL SOHO might depend on how well the Standard version goes, and whether or not users want a SOHO version.

2)  In the mean time, have you tried VL SOHO 5.8, or VL Standard 5.9 for 32-bit (you can install KDE on it)?  I also have a 64-bit architecture, and VL 5.9 (32-bit) is very fast on my machine.  With your specs I think you'll probably find it much faster than Fedora Core 8 64-bit.

3)  In my experience, VL is the fastest Linux distro there is that isn't stripped down to the bare bones (a la Damn Small Linux or something like that).

4)  I don't know what your needs are, so I don't know if VL in any form is right for you.  Probably the best way to find out would be to free up a partition and give it a whirl.

All the best, regardless of what you end up using,
Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991