VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Oh, Hi!  (Read 2150 times)

civint

• Now in AWESOME flavour
Oh, Hi!
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:54:26 am »

Just a quick word to say "Hai Gaise!"...I'm a prospective universtity student at 18, and I have been using linux since I first got an old computer from my school that booted from network to windows, so I installed debian (probably not the best move for a n00b) and spray painted my pc green. It was a fantastic summer of learning about the foibles of linux.

HOwever, I graduated to Ubuntu for a while, and after getting slightly bored of their community (which I found not to be quite as good as I had imagined) I migrated via a few different distros to linux mint which I have been using for a while (from version 3.1 to 4.0) and I have found it to be a good overall OS, however, my computer is becoming what might be described as 'old':

Celeron D 2.8GHz
512MB of Ram
Nvidia 6200

And I have found mint to be lacking in stability and choice (I edit video as a hobby, and there is actually very little choice in their repos) although I would heartily recommend it to linux newcomers, I think it's not for me, and via arch (it was a nightmare to install...or set up at least, even with their wiki guide...it seems a lot of effort for a K.I.S.S distro, which is all good and well but I do like to have a GUI to edit settings. Then it's not myfault if it breaks  ;)) I have come back to Vector, since it has matured a lot since I installed it. And it comes with the nvidia drivers as default (or so I gather from looking at reveiws...) which is always a contributing factor.

I hope that it will keep my computer going until I get some nice student loans to misuse by upgrading my computer ;)

Civ
Another reason to love linux:
You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Oh, Hi!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »

Hi civint, welcome to the forum.
I quite enjoy this section of the forum, when I can read the experience others had with Linux. I think you found a great match for your machine in this OS, and I am sure you will be interested in the Multimedia Bonus Disc project, powered by Dweeberkitty.
Surely VL will keep your machine going, I doubt you will leave it after the upgrade ;).
Nice to meet you, and welcome again.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

civint

• Now in AWESOME flavour
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:20:01 am »

Thanks!  :D

Also, if I download the multimedia extension disk, will I be able to pop it in and install apps from the cd (using the cd as a repository, or do I just install it as a system?
You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:15:20 pm »

Thanks!  :D

Also, if I download the multimedia extension disk, will I be able to pop it in and install apps from the cd (using the cd as a repository, or do I just install it as a system?

civint, welcome to Vector Linux! To answer your question, you can do both, install individual apps AND install it as a complete addon. You do not have to reinstall your computer to install it, it's just like a repository but you have the option to install all of the apps at once. Give it a spin! You can visit my site for more information about it and downloads: http://dweeberkitty.110mb.com/index.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:17:49 pm by Dweeberkitty »
Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

Sivatheja

• Vectorite
    • Banthigaadu
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:02:42 pm »

my computer is becoming what might be described as 'old':

Celeron D 2.8GHz
512MB of Ram
Nvidia 6200

Civ
Oh! My main computer that I work on has even lower configuration :D I dont work on videos though :)
Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD

civint

• Now in AWESOME flavour
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 09:30:51 am »

Dweeberkitty: Thanks a bunch for the infos! It look slike a sound addition to an already awesome distro!

sivatheja: Well then, I think that that shows just how quality a distro this is, lol.