VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 03:40:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh, Hi!  (Read 1802 times)
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« on: February 22, 2008, 10:54:26 am »

Just a quick word to say "Hai Gaise!"...I'm a prospective universtity student at 18, and I have been using linux since I first got an old computer from my school that booted from network to windows, so I installed debian (probably not the best move for a n00b) and spray painted my pc green. It was a fantastic summer of learning about the foibles of linux.

HOwever, I graduated to Ubuntu for a while, and after getting slightly bored of their community (which I found not to be quite as good as I had imagined) I migrated via a few different distros to linux mint which I have been using for a while (from version 3.1 to 4.0) and I have found it to be a good overall OS, however, my computer is becoming what might be described as 'old':

Celeron D 2.8GHz
512MB of Ram
Nvidia 6200

And I have found mint to be lacking in stability and choice (I edit video as a hobby, and there is actually very little choice in their repos) although I would heartily recommend it to linux newcomers, I think it's not for me, and via arch (it was a nightmare to install...or set up at least, even with their wiki guide...it seems a lot of effort for a K.I.S.S distro, which is all good and well but I do like to have a GUI to edit settings. Then it's not myfault if it breaks  Wink) I have come back to Vector, since it has matured a lot since I installed it. And it comes with the nvidia drivers as default (or so I gather from looking at reveiws...) which is always a contributing factor.

I hope that it will keep my computer going until I get some nice student loans to misuse by upgrading my computer Wink

Civ

Another reason to love linux:
You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »

Hi civint, welcome to the forum.
I quite enjoy this section of the forum, when I can read the experience others had with Linux. I think you found a great match for your machine in this OS, and I am sure you will be interested in the Multimedia Bonus Disc project, powered by Dweeberkitty.
Surely VL will keep your machine going, I doubt you will leave it after the upgrade Wink.
Nice to meet you, and welcome again.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:20:01 am »

Thanks!  Cheesy

Also, if I download the multimedia extension disk, will I be able to pop it in and install apps from the cd (using the cd as a repository, or do I just install it as a system?

You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:15:20 pm »

Thanks!  Cheesy

Also, if I download the multimedia extension disk, will I be able to pop it in and install apps from the cd (using the cd as a repository, or do I just install it as a system?

civint, welcome to Vector Linux! To answer your question, you can do both, install individual apps AND install it as a complete addon. You do not have to reinstall your computer to install it, it's just like a repository but you have the option to install all of the apps at once. Give it a spin! You can visit my site for more information about it and downloads: http://dweeberkitty.110mb.com/index.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:17:49 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:02:42 pm »

my computer is becoming what might be described as 'old':

Celeron D 2.8GHz
512MB of Ram
Nvidia 6200

Civ
Oh! My main computer that I work on has even lower configuration Cheesy I dont work on videos though Smiley

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 09:30:51 am »

Dweeberkitty: Thanks a bunch for the infos! It look slike a sound addition to an already awesome distro!

sivatheja: Well then, I think that that shows just how quality a distro this is, lol.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: