Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Thank You to vector developers and community  (Read 1591 times)

Thank You to vector developers and community
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:18 am »

My hobby is to fix up old computers (P-IIs and P-IIIs) and give them to deserving kids. 
For the lower-end machines with limited memory, I install Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux.
For the better machines with 256 - 512 M memory I used to install Xubuntu or Ubuntu.  But I've found that Ubuntu uses up about 512 M of real memory pretty quick, while Xubuntu only lowers this memory requirement by 50 - 75 M.  (The major difference between the two is that Xubuntu uses Xfce instead of Gnome).

So on a few of my better machines, I installed VL Standard.  It uses Xfce just like Xubuntu, but the real memory requirements are only 200 - 250 M most of the time -- way lower than Xubuntu.

More and more I'm installing VL Standard --

*  It runs really snappy in 256 - 512 M machines
*  The kids LIKE it !     
*  I like it because I no longer have to mess around installing browser plug-ins and such that the kids need
   (they don't care whether it's "free beer" or "free software," they just want software that does everything they   
   need at minimal cost... I love Ubuntu but I think they misunderstand how consumers view this
   philosophical debate)
* All I have to do is give the kids a ten minute lesson on VL/Xfce and they're ready to go
* Everything "just works"

Lastly, my kids (ages 9 - 14) have posted questions on this forum, and everyone has always been wonderfully nice and helpful to them.

Thank you for a fantastic distro!  and the nice welcoming community that comes along with it.

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Thank You to vector developers and community
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:36 am »

You should try the VL Light beta on one of those machines... I saw a PIII come back to life w/ it... I'm sure you'll like it ;)

Re: Thank You to vector developers and community
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:32:09 pm »

THanks, I didn't even know about LITE.  I'll try it out.  DSL is great but a little TOO geeky for most kids.  An alternative on the very low end would be nice.