VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:28:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Multimedia Bonus Disc RC 2.3 Released !!!  (Read 6262 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« on: February 22, 2008, 06:30:23 pm »

Multimedia Bonus Disc RC 2.3 has been released!

At long last, it's finally here. A new installer, many updated programs and a set of new ones are just a few of the things that comprise this release. Give it a spin! The installer will give you the choice to install almost 200 of the best multimedia programs or for the more advanced, it will allow one to chose individual packages. Testing will be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Download the ISO here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/MultimediaBonusDisc-RC2.3.iso

Please report bugs in this thread!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:02:42 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:42:44 pm »

Great!! I will have to do some room for testing it. Thanks for your hard work Dweeberkitty.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »

Thanks rbistolfi, let me know how it works. If anyone is interested, visit the site for a complete (I think) list of all programs included. http://dweeberkitty.110mb.com/features.html

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:47:52 pm »

Installer worked well, and all the programs I have used so far do also.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:15:25 pm »

Guys, I'd like to as but I'd hate to hijack this thread... so if I do, please move this to another place...

Here is what I need to do
I have 2 video mini-dvd disks whose contents I want to transfer to a full-sized DVD (make 1 out of 2 disks)
Also, I'd like to pick some of that content and put it aside (for another disc)...

Does this bonus disc have the tools I need to do that?
I'll need to create a DVD using the VOB files, which i've tried in the past without any success.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 02:22:14 pm »

You know MOE-lnx, I don't know exactly how to do that, but I'll bet that if you find the answer somewhere it'll tell you to use some of the tools on the disc. Possibly you can open the VOB files in Kino and export them as a DVD quality and then use ManDVD or QDVDAuthor to export it to a dvd. Also Kino provides a DVD export option which will export the files (if you splice them together or whatever you want first) directly to a dvd without a menu. But to answer your question, I can almost guarantee that the bonus disc has the tools for what you want to do. There are quite a few programs on there, so pretty much you would have a good selection of choices that would help you get the job done. Also there are some programs that will rip a DVD to an avi file or an mpeg or something and then you can run it back off to a regular dvd (after your editing of course) like you want to. Give it a try and I'll help as much as I can.

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 03:33:11 pm »

I have 2 video mini-dvd disks whose contents I want to transfer to a full-sized DVD (make 1 out of 2 disks)

1. mount the mini-dvd
Code:
mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom
Where x is the letter of your CD drive.

2. Copy the file to your hard drive.

3. Edit the individual files. I use Avidemux which is on the disk.
For some reason I have to re-encode the files to half D1 size to avoid a stuttering effect. And I have to burn to DVD+R even though my standalone DVD player should play DVD+ or -R. Use a DVD+-RW to experiment with.  Save the files in the MPEG-PS (A+V) format.

4.Use something like DVDstyler (on the disk) to author the DVD.
It will stitch the files together and let you create menus.

Thats a pretty polished looking web site Dweeberkitty. I will have to download your disk when I get home tommorow.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 03:36:15 pm »

Thats a pretty polished looking web site Dweeberkitty. I will have to download your disk when I get home tommorow.

Thanks. Let me know how it works for you. Also, I'm in the process of making this SOHO compatible. There are a couple strange things if you are using KDE.

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »

Thanks. Let me know how it works for you. Also, I'm in the process of making this SOHO compatible. There are a couple strange things if you are using KDE.

Let us know when the SOHO Compatible is ready.. I'm testing 5.9 now.
Thanks,
Dave
P.S. Thank you for all your hard work.  Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 04:46:15 am »

Just installed the MMBD. Lots of goodies there (still haven't done anything with any program, but it's loaded).
I would have preferred not to install KDE on my laptop, but I chose the full install so Sad
But that's fine.

A couple of suggestions:
* Switch to zenity instead of Xdialog. Zenity looks better
* Offer an option to uninstall. Since this is a very specific bundle of packages, you should be able to do this easily.
Nice work Dweeberkitty. Will test the applications later.

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:01:33 pm »

I have'nt had time to try too much yet. I did the full install.
Offer an option to uninstall. Since this is a very specific bundle of packages, you should be able to do this easily.
Ditto!!
I am interested in a lot of this stuff but not all of it. After a trial period one might wish to remove the bulk of it and install just what you wish.
Nothing requiring JACK seems to work.
The tovid GUI does'nt start from the menu.
The virtual keyboard is silent (does it require jack?)

Other than that everything seems okay on first glance.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:16:33 pm »

I think you have to give jack the proper permissions to run with real time priority. I have some notes around, I can post them later if I find them. Perhaps we could script the process and tell jack install script to do it. In the while, try starting jack as root or the app that uses jack -like ardour2 or rosegarden- as root, just to see if the permissions are the issue.
I dunno which app are you referring to, but surely the virtual keyboard just send midi messages. You need to connect it to a midi instrument to get sound. A midi instrument takes the midi messages and render the information to get an audible sound. There is both, software and hardware midi instruments to accomplish this.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 03:41:41 pm »

Nothing requiring JACK seems to work.

Try loading up QJackctl and start the jack server. The problem is that jack is not running and it has to be running for those programs to work. Also, when using QJackctl, try disabling the option to use realtime priority, that usually fixes issues with starting jack from Qjackctl. Give that a try and tell me if it fixes the problem with the jack programs.

The tovid GUI does'nt start from the menu.

Yup, that's a known issue. It seems that tovid GUI needs wxPython, which I never was able to successfully build a package that tovid liked. Maybe if I should just remove that entry if I can't get it working.

A couple of suggestions:
* Switch to zenity instead of Xdialog. Zenity looks better

Yes, I agree, zenity looks better. I'll work on that.

* Offer an option to uninstall. Since this is a very specific bundle of packages, you should be able to do this easily.

Sorta kinda.....there are some apps that I would NOT remove after installation, such as xine-lib, kdelibs, ffmpeg etc... Those are some of the apps that I upgraded from ones included on VL. Maybe if I do an uninstall option, I can remove everything except those ones that I upgraded on the iso. There's not that many of them that I did that on, but still, I'd have to make sure I didn't remove those. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the testing guys!  Smiley

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 05:05:06 pm »

BTW, if you come accross some application for converting 3pg videos into AVI or MPEG and vise-versa, I'm very interested in something that can do that

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »

Try FFmpeg, also another alternative might be Mencoder. I believe that FFmpeg supports 3pg, and with it, you can convert from practically any format to another. I don't know the syntax though to do it.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: