VectorLinux
October 26, 2014, 12:08:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: vl 5.9 & vl 5.9 light beta1 not installing on toshiba notebook  (Read 4752 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »

Sorry about belabouring this. If I was able to compile a new kernel (or decide to use the 5.8 kernel)  is the only necesary file to copy, the boot image vmlinuz... in the boot folder?
yes all you need is the kernel.
#1. would I be able to copy an install CD onto a hard drive, add the vmlinuz... to the kernel folder and then reburn it, then elect to use that file when booting the installcd?
Yes you can add as many kernels to the kernel folder, as long as they have different names.
you have to add them to the isolinux.cfg file as well.
#2. If I use vinstall-iso  under 5.8  how do I get the kernel into the new setup?

I appreciate your help.
You just copy the kernel to /boot and the modules to /lib/modules

I am glad to help
wph

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 06:03:12 pm »

well, I've had some limited success. I used my vl5.9 install on my vm. I ran xconfig and ticked the 'Generic IDE' and 'Genereic PCI IDE' options (which were unticked in the supplied .config  file) in the atapi configuration section. I recompiled the kernel, copied it onto my usb stick and then into my  5.8 installation and ran lilo. I botted using the newly compiled kernel and it booted fine. I'll have to experiment which is the critical option but it seems to be one of the two, assuming that the installation 5.9 kernel is based on the supplied .config.

I'd like to build a new install disk. As I said, I could copy the files onto the HD, add the new kernel. Is there software which can create an iso image?  How do I ensure the image or cd is bootable?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 06:24:32 pm »

you can create the iso with mkisofs

this is the command i use to make the VL ISO's bootable
Code:
mkisofs -o "VL5.9-Light-B1.iso" -v -J -R -D -A "VL5.9" -V "VL5.9" \
-no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 \
-b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot ISO
This command assumes the files you want on the iso are in a folder named ISO
wph

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 04:10:18 am »

*excellent*  now I'm so very very close.

The new iso installed fine, the kernel was detected properly and ran fine. However, it seems that another copy of the kernel is used in the installation process (i.e. /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 in vlconfig2.tlz)

This is necessary as the lilo builds the boot based on this file.

I gather the best solution would be to rename my modified kernel to match vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 and replace the existing kernel with that one.

My only and hopefully the last river to cross would be how to incorporate/replace that file in vlconfig2.tlz?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 07:36:39 am »

the easiest way would be to make a kernel package with your kernel and modules (maybe even source if you wanted) and copy them to ISO/packages/required.
I would name your kernel something else besides vmlinuz-2.6.22.14
that way when lilo is ran you will see the regular options and your new kernel at the bottom.
if your kernel is 2.6.22.14 you can name it the same and it will overwrite the one that doesnt work though.
wph

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 11:43:21 pm »

We have lift off!

Thanks so much for your help. I'm writing this from a proud new vl5.9 install.

Here are the steps I had to take to get up and running (after a fair bit of messing around).

1. I had fortunately had vl 5.9 set up as a vm on my xp pc - it was hooked up to a cd burner and had source installed.
2. I recompiled the kernel, this time ticking 'generic ide' & 'generic pci ide' options in the atapi section.
3. I create a folder called ISO in /root
4. I copied the contents of the vl 5.9 installation into /root/ISO
5. I expanded veclinux/required/vlconfig.tlz
6. I copied the newly compiled kernel into the boot folder and renamed it to vmlinuz-2.6... etc.  I had to do this, as I couldn't get the install to recognise the kernel in any other name when it was building the lilo (vmlinuz or something must be hardcoded into the setup scripts).
7. I took all the folders from vlconfig.tlz into a temp directory and used makepkg to rebuild vlconfig.tlz (choosing to keep the links)
8. I copied the new vlconfig.tlz to the veclinux/required folder in /root/ISO  and made sure the folders I had expanded from the .tlz had been removed from the required folder.
8a. I also copied the new kernel to the isolinux/kernel folder and edited isolinux.cfg to include the new kernel
9. I used the makiso command you mentioned above.
10. I used xfburn to write the cd.
10a. when booting the install disk, i had to type in the name of the new kernel as i configured it in isolinux.cfg
11. After that install went smoothly, and now I'm up and running, quite happily

Thanks so much for your help and patience. There was a fair bit of experimentation as I'm not aufait with building the install disks. *phew*
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 11:58:36 pm »

Glad you got it going.

I may have a kernel for you to test fairly soon, you interested?

Uelsk8s
wph

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:12 am »

now that i've got it installed and the system is bootable, it wouldn't be any hassle at all

I'd be happy to assist if i can

cheers
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: