VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 09:00:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lexmark printers  (Read 3692 times)
peleseeker

« on: February 25, 2008, 09:18:06 pm »

does linspire acknowledge lexmark series printers?  If not which printers are recongized and where is this info found please.  thanks.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:24:47 pm »

You could try linuxprinting.org

Bigpaws
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:45:51 am »

Also www.linspire.com Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:16:01 am »

does linspire acknowledge lexmark series printers?  If not which printers are recongized and where is this info found please.  thanks.

I don't know about Linspire.. why not try Vector.

But I've had very bad sucess geting Lexmark printers to work on Linux. 
However maybe that has changed since I last tried.  I use mostly HP's here they seem to support Linux well. 

Cheers!

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:27:51 am »

Many of Lexmark's inkjets are unsupported, but my e120n Laser works perfectly using the ppd file linuxprinting recommends.
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:16:01 am »

does linspire acknowledge lexmark series printers?
Actually it's a matter of whether or not Lexmark supplies Linux drivers for their hardware. As it turns out they do supply Linux drivers on their web site. But they are packaged specifically for Red Hat Linux instead of source code .

Here is how I got my Lexmark printer going in Vector. It should work for any distro that uses .tgz packages.
Linspire is a Debian based distro so you should look at this Unbuntu forum thread if your going to use Linspire.

Lexmark
http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/selections.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:0:0:0&target=http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&&req=:::::

Download the driver and place it in it's own directory.

Extract the driver.
Code:
tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz

This produces a sh script which does not work.
Use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
Code:
tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz

This produces a file called "install.tar.gz"
Extract the contents of the file produced by tail
Code:
tar -xvzf install.tar.gz

This produces 2 rpm packages "z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm" and "z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm"
Convert these to Slackware packages.
Code:
rpm2tgz z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
rpm2tgz z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm

Install each of these packages
Code:
installpkg z600cups-1.0-1.i386.tgz
installpkg z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.tgz

Set up CUPS in the normal fashion.

You may find you have to log out or reboot for CUPS to find the newly installed driver. The UNBUNTU forum thread this was taken from had a number of other requirements which seem to be unnecessary for Vector. You probably don't have to install the extracted CUPS package.

The example given is for a Lexmark Z611 printer but has been reported to work on other printers and the printer portion of at least one Lexmark all in one. I do not know of any successful cases where both printer and scanner will work.

Many of Lexmark's inkjets are unsupported, but my e120n Laser works perfectly using the ppd file linuxprinting recommends.
NOTE: basicly you are just extracting a ppd file and installing it in the correct location so try linuxprinting first.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: