VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 02:13:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: solved:hplip  (Read 8210 times)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 02:59:57 pm »

thanks for the info

greets günter
waynev

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »

Hi Günter,

An all-in-one is actually several devices put together in a single housing. So the printer driver wont drive the scanner. This is also true for the native Windows driver. It's just a printerdriver and a scanner driver bundled together.
For the scanner you need SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy). Just run xsane from the Graphics menu and see where that takes you. You have a good chance that that will work, because I've found SANE to live up to it's name. I have a HP all-in-one myself and it works great in all respects.

On a related note, I found my printer unsupported by the HPLIP driver in the default install. I had to update through the repo.

So yeah, just configure your printer through localhost:631 in your browser, and run xsane to get your scanner to work.

I have an hp PSC 1410v All-in-One printer set up is with cups [127.0.0.1:631/printers].

Xsane is installed, but won't run as user or root.  I'm in the scanner group.  This same hp prints and scans with ubuntu 7.1.   Any suggestion would be appreciated. 
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 02:49:41 pm »

did kooka recognice your scanner?

first of all you have to verify that the scanner is recogniced...

try this in konsole  :   scanimage -L

your scanner should be recogniced..that would be a good sign

afterwards configure in cups the printer (scanner)..look below
Also scanning works fine up to 600 dpi with the SANE driver from hplip, using "HP PSC 1400 series".

did you try this driver?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:22 pm »

For SANE, the first thing you need to do is run
sane-find-scanner
as root. That will tell you where sane thinks the scanner is. You can then find the scanner location in /dev and change the permissions so you as user (or the scanner group) is permitted to read-write-execute the device.

Then you can try running xsane as user.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
waynev

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 09:58:58 am »

For SANE, the first thing you need to do is run
sane-find-scanner
as root. That will tell you where sane thinks the scanner is. You can then find the scanner location in /dev and change the permissions so you as user (or the scanner group) is permitted to read-write-execute the device.

Then you can try running xsane as user.
--GrannyGeek

As Root ran "sane-find-scanner," and the response was:

Vendor=0x0x03f0 [HP]
Product=0x4d11 [PSC 1400 Series] at libusb:1;3

/usr/lib/libusb.so
/usr/lib/libusb.la
/usr/lib/libusb.a

# usb scanner (probably) detected.  It may not be suported by Sane.
    Try Scanimage -L and read the backends manpage.

"Scanimage -L" was run with the result:  No scanners were identified.

I took this information, and using the command "ls -la" at terminal discovered these current permissions:

wxrw-r--r--   1 root root   32726 2007-02-15 22:43 libusb.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root     789 2007-02-15 22:43 libusb.la*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      19 2008-02-12 17:38 libusb.so -> libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4*

Are these the same permissions your system show?

BTW ran xsane and no scanner found.....

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:41:57 am by waynev » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »

I won't be at the computer with the USB scanner until Monday. I'll check then. Remind me if I forget.

Where you need to change permissions is in /dev, not in those files you listed. See if you hae a USB1 third device in /dev.

But...
Do you have a Linux driver for your scanner? If it isn't seen by sane, you need a driver from the manufacturer or some other driver that works with the scanner. Do some googling on your scanner model and Linux and see if anyone has gotten it to work and what driver they used.

Good luck! These things can be beasts to get going if they don't have sane support or a driver from the manufacturer and sometimes there's just no way to get them to work.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
waynev

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 07:23:36 pm »

I won't be at the computer with the USB scanner until Monday. I'll check then. Remind me if I forget.

Where you need to change permissions is in /dev, not in those files you listed. See if you hae a USB1 third device in /dev.

But...
Do you have a Linux driver for your scanner? If it isn't seen by sane, you need a driver from the manufacturer or some other driver that works with the scanner. Do some googling on your scanner model and Linux and see if anyone has gotten it to work and what driver they used.

Good luck! These things can be beasts to get going if they don't have sane support or a driver from the manufacturer and sometimes there's just no way to get them to work.
--GrannyGeek

Appreciate your continued support and input on this.  I'll follow up on your suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 05:40:47 pm by waynev » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: