VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 06:20:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kde 4 (Answered)  (Read 1203 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: February 29, 2008, 06:38:46 am »

Given the increasingly number of times I see kde4 popping up in blogs, headlines and the linux community in general, I was wondering how soon it might be available in Vectorlinux.  I'm sure it is on the minds of those who work on the VL distro.  Is there anything that can be shared with us in general on its availability?

reb
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:11:30 am by reb » Logged

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:17:45 am »

There are test packages available here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/kde4/

It is quite unusable at this time in Our opinion.

Uelsk8s
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:07:24 am »

Thanks uelsk8s

That tells me VL is working on it.  One can ask no more than that  Smiley

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:08 am »

reb

Just to let you know:  I've been following the news about KDE 4.  As uelsk8s said, it's unusable right now.  Nevertheless, the KDE people are working on adding more features to bring it to the point where it's as spiffy as KDE 3.5.x.  Apparently the problem is that they needed to release version 4 in order to get input from developers and users about bugs and whatnot, so they released it even though it's not really ready for general use.  My guess is that six months or so from now it will be much more usable.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:21:51 am »

When I've tried to use it with other Distros it's not yet ready for prime time. 
Not stable enough yet I would deffinately only use it on a machine that is not mission critical.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: