VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 08:34:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grub Problem  (Read 2478 times)
celticbhoy

« on: October 22, 2008, 09:39:22 am »

I am having a problem getting grub to work after my install. When Grub boots it does not show my Vector partition, only listing a windows boot(actually my flash drive formated as fat32). If I boot to the install disk and put the vector partition in linux root=/dev/hda1 Vector boots fine, Any help welcome.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:21:58 pm »

Smiley It would help if you provided a bit more information.

What version of Vector Linux have you installed? Also, how did you install Grub, since its not normally part of the Vector install (Vector uses Lilo by default).

By the sound of it, you need to add the correct entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst, but you will need to be booted to Vector to do that. For general information, this is the menu.lst entry I use to boot Vector 5.9 Standard:

Code:
title Vector Linux 5.9
root (hd0,8)
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 root=/dev/hda9 vga=791 splash=silent ro
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd
boot

You would need to change the hard drive entires to suit your drive layout, and possibly adjust the "vga=" entry to suit your display, but otherwise, the entry should be pretty much as above. Of course, you need root access to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.

paul.
celticbhoy

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:41:14 pm »

Cheers mate, your entry worked fine. Is there any chance that you could post your entry for for recovery?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:09:47 am »

Cheers mate, your entry worked fine. Is there any chance that you could post your entry for for recovery?

Glad it worked. As to recovery, I'm afraid I don't have one - I use a live CD for that sort of problem (my favourite is SystemRescueCD).

paul.
celticbhoy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:11:03 am »

Thanx anyway paul, I just fancied setting up a normal looking grub screen, plus sometimes comes in useful after a kernel update.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: