VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 08:22:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot extract required/veclinux.tlz on install  (Read 4445 times)
tzefanyah

« on: February 29, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to install Vector 5.9 DLX on a HP Compaq 330d Microtower with 640 meg of RAM, Nvidia FX 5200 Video card and 40 gig HD.  Vector will be the only OS on this machine.  It did have Windows 2000 on it that I wiped out.   It starts to install the first package and I get this prompt:

Cannot extract required /veclinux.tlz.  Maybe the file is corrupt, or the partition is full.  The current installation is in an unknown state.

The CD was burned at a low speed and it I believe it was a clean burn.  I admit I am mystified.   Huh

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me before I go bald!    Shocked

tzefanyah
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »

Did you run the integrity test on the packages from the menu? I've found that to be a life saver on more than one occasion.

If its not that, I would have to wonder if the CD drive is giving problems. In the days before I gave up Ubuntu as a bad joke, I had a number of problems if DMA was enabled on the CD. Disabling it got me out of trouble.

I'm not sure if there is a cheatcode to allow you to disable DMA for the CD - maybe someone else can help with that...

paul.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:30 am »

tzefanyah:

I had this problem with VL 5.9 Deluxe CD 1.  I thought it might be a bad burn so I burned it onto another CD.  That solved the problem for me.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tzefanyah

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:02:00 am »

Thanks for the replies.  I am going to buy some different CDs and tell you my results.   Also I have heard that you should set your CD burner up as a slave to your HD and get a better burn.  Is that true?  Right now on my other machine (which only runs Linux as well  Grin) the DVD writer is paired with a Combo drive.

Thanks again.  Smiley

tzefanyah

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:22:18 am »

Thanks for the replies.  I am going to buy some different CDs and tell you my results.   Also I have heard that you should set your CD burner up as a slave to your HD and get a better burn.  Is that true?  Right now on my other machine (which only runs Linux as well  Grin) the DVD writer is paired with a Combo drive.

I would have said the opposite - I normally try to keep the source drive (hard drive or optical) on a different channel). I also normally try to make the burner master on the channel its on.

Thanks again.  Smiley

You're welcome. I hope it helps.

paul.
tzefanyah

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 08:39:29 pm »

Well,

No go.  I bought Memorex and Verbatim CD and they did not work.  Could a bad CD drive give kernel panic errors?  I have tried memtest and no errors were reported, however, when tried to install different linux I used the memtest on that CD and an error was reported.   Which do I rely on the separate CD which reported no errors or the one supplied on the liveCD? 

If I wasn't patient I would pull my hair till I was bald!    Tongue

Any help at this time would be great!   Smiley

Thank you in advance.

tzefanyah
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:20:06 pm »

No go.  I bought Memorex and Verbatim CD and they did not work.  Could a bad CD drive give kernel panic errors?  I have tried memtest and no errors were reported, however, when tried to install different linux I used the memtest on that CD and an error was reported.   Which do I rely on the separate CD which reported no errors or the one supplied on the liveCD?

If a CD drive corrupts data as it is read, it could certainly give a kernel panic. As to which memtest to trust, I guess it depends on how you booted it. If both were being booted from CD, I'd wonder about a bad burn. If the one that reports errors is booted from a CD and the one that doesn't is booted from a floppy I would suspect the CD.

As a test, if you machine has a flioppy, downloading a floppy version of memtest and running from floppy might help to narrow the cause of the problem.

Another thing you might be able to try is to take your VL CD to another machine and see if it gives problems in it. Depends on having another machine available for testing, of course.

If I wasn't patient I would pull my hair till I was bald!    Tongue

Grin I could sympathise with that. Hope you can get it sorted out.

paul.
Placki

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 11:32:13 am »

Hi,

I have Celeron 400Mhz, 256MB RAM, 8.3GB hard drive. Used VL 5.9 Light, installed from CD.

I have the same error - tried burning on a different CD, did the md5sum check ( succesful ), always check the packages before the installation start, basically runing out of ideas - as this stops in the same moment always, Im thinking if this really is possible to be the fault of the CD drive reading the installation CD.

I am now trying some different configurations, or just basically clicking fast thru the install process, taking all in defaults. And see where that will get me.

Any more help or perhaps some more practical knowledge would be great.
P.

EDIT: Well, I made it. What did I do? Basically, accepted the keymap and everything else as default, choose to mount all directories on the same partition, and choose raiserfs as filesystem for that partition, choose a SWAP on a 512MB linux-swap partition. Installed only the basic packages, none from the additional ones, also unchecked anything else besides the basic type in machine for this one. And it installed itself, even booted.
As I need the computer now, I will stay with it for now, but perhaps when I have some more time, I will reinstall and check what was really the cause of the crash.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:30:34 pm by Placki » Logged

Proud Grand Champion of Noob Wars Deluxe
PReDiToR

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:10:48 pm »

Dragging up an old thread, but I have the same problem.

IBM T22
P3 (Coppermine) 900MHz
256MB RAM
20GB HDD
CD/DVD ROM
VL5.9-Light-FINAL.iso (md5sum of ISO and burned CD match site given values)

Disk /dev/sda: 20.0 GB, 20003880960 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x<XXXXXXXX>

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1          64      514048+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2   *          65        1025     7719232+  83  Linux
/dev/sda3            1026        1664     5132767+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4            1665        2432     6168960   83  Linux

/dev/sda2 = openSUSE 11 ext3 /
/dev/sda3 = openSUSE 11 ext3 /home

Installation stops after 372MB. For the last 10MB or so it installed at 1MB increments, before that it loads between 7 and 20MB chunks.
The installer flashes up that it has completed, then stops with cannot extract required veclinux.tlz, possibly corrupt or disk full.

I have adjusted the installation options and the formatting of /dev/hda4 to no avail.
Booting with the ide kernel stops at 354MB.

CD and HDD are working fine, that partition I'm using has just had gOS 3 on it, installed yesterday. openSUSE 10 was installed over a year ago and upgraded to 11 when it came out. fsck of the partitions and SMART report no problems.

Any help?
dave_young80

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 04:01:28 am »

I too seem to have this same problem trying to install VL 5.9 Light.

I have tried several burned disks - some done at very low speeds but I still get this error.

I'm trying to install on a Toshiba Portege 7230 laptop (PII 366, 128MB, 6.0GB disk) which was previously working with VL5.1

It's a clean install with a freshly partitioned disk 256MB for swap 5.5Gb for everything else (formatted with Reiserfs)

I have run the 'check packages' option on the installer but it completes without error.

Unfortunately I don't have a second spare machine to test this disk on but my feeling is that the disk is fine Sad

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 04:33:52 am »

I suspect that the combination of large, highly compressed bulk packages and older machines cause this issue. The decompression maxes out the system for a long time and errors occur.

How is the interest for a version that uses less compression at the expense of a larger download?
dave_young80

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 06:28:34 am »

I can only speak for myself, but a larger download wouldn't be an issue for me. 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 01:25:33 pm »

I made an ISO using less compression. Find it here:
http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/VL5.9.1-Light.iso
md5sum:  8214c61fcc7ca23e69b47c2c6d17cad3

The download is just over 500 MB. I tried it on a Celeron 500 with 64 MB of RAM (minus some for shared graphics). There was a dramatic increase in install speed over the original version. If anyone tries it, please post your results here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: