VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 01:21:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta 2 Bug thread  (Read 16651 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: February 29, 2008, 09:26:10 pm »

Please post any bugs here.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:34:03 pm »

boot time from off: 81 seconds

nice boot splash, VL logo might look a little better if reduced in size by 25 or 30% (swirl included), will the current size work on a 15-inch monitor?

the progress script is not centered on the progress bar during boot, progress verbiage is offset  to the left w.r.t. progress bar, looks a little, um, beta

haven't tried it yet, but Grafburn does require cdrdao for full functionality, especially copying audio.

good access to both JWM and Fluxbox desktops

still experiencing mouse over-sensitivity issue with spurious menu on left click

Opera default font still kinda ugly

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 03:33:31 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:01:09 am »

hi..nice distro
some glitches i encountered..

cant switch to german keyboard..neither in vasm nor in console with xorgsetup

cant find settings in xmms under options..(maybe my fault..dont know..)

gnumeric didnt open xls-files (original ms excel 2003)..errormessage "no supported format"..afterwards gnumeric open itself and the file is empty...

okay.....otherwise it will become a great distri...

greets g√ľnter

PastorEd

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:39 pm »

Hello, Vector Community! Long time no see!

I tried to install both VL-lite Beta 1 and Beta 2.

Both passed the md5sum test, but neither of them passed the check media test.

I read from my screen "something is wrong with the required/vlconfig.tlz (error code = 1)

So, what now?
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »

I downloaded SystemRescueCd 1.0 for testing burners, tried to erase a RW disk with Grafburn and ran into problems. The error was hard to catch in print. Something like:
Code:
Cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Cannot send SCSI command via ioctl.
The "erase media" task was not performed, yet Grafburn presented the disk as ready to be burned.

I tried to burn and got the same general error. Additionally, the tray started repetitively opening and closing, such that it was impossible to get the CD out of the tray. I tried to open terminal, but this initiated yet another round of opening and closing the tray; terminal was not accessible. In fact, the computer became inoperable in this mode, and I had to use the front power button to shut off the computer. I would say the tray opened and closed maybe 7 times, before I gave up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 04:45:54 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:15:35 pm »

Hello, Vector Community! Long time no see!

I hope to shout.   How are you PastorEd?

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 04:36:03 pm »

Bashburn doesnt make blanking the CD easy. The ISO must be in a specific folder to proceed. I think I will need special instructions on how to get Bashburn to simply erase and burn an ISO. My impression is that I must configure Bashburn for every task I want to perform. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:52:48 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »

Hey! PastorEd... LTNS indeed! Nice to see you around.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
PastorEd

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 07:32:59 pm »

this might be a bit off topic, so Mods, feel free to move it...

I'm doing well! I'm due to graduate with my M.Div. in May, with one more class to finish up in the summer. After that, I think I'll take a year off, and not do school for a while. (I was seriously thinking about going for a Ph.D., but I've been counseled to give it a rest, and I think that's a good idea.)

Back on topic... So, any thoughts as to why BOTH burns of VL Lite failed? the md5sums matched what was listed, but the media didn't check out...
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »

So, any thoughts as to why BOTH burns of VL Lite failed?
Burn at slow speed, 4x. (not greater than 8x, anyway)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 04:46:40 am »

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but in my old beta1 libgnomecups is missing. As a result, Abiword and Gnumeric are unable to print to CUPS printers.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 07:48:22 am »

The ck kernel does not work on my laptop with a SATA drive. The error messages before it panics mention /dev/hdXX, when it should be looking for /dev/sdXX.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 01:29:16 pm »

On my most ancient test machine, a P3-600/64 I get these errors when trying to run "explorer" in a terminal:
Code:
cat: /var/run/xdm.pid: No such file or directory
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
basename: missing operand
Try `basename --help' for more information.
It repeats indefinitely. However, when I launch it from the menu or use "Run..", it works.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »

I was doing a multiple (REPEAT) burn with Grafburn (using Puppy 2.17.1) and between burns, I see an advisory from Grafburn, saying that it behaves unpredictably with kernel 2.5 and above, so if having problems, it recommends using kernel 2.4 or Solaris.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:08:57 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
netfun81

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:42:52 pm »

I really like VL-light.   There are a few things that would make it easier to set up:

1.  Hp printer would not work.  Had to enable testing repo to install new Hplip package to get it to work.

2.  Nvidia driver installation required downloading the kernel source and configuring and compiling.  Kind of a hastle.. would be nice if kernel source files were included.

3.  No good mixer app.  I added Aumix, but would be nice to have a volume control added to taskbar.

4.  Opera does not replace firefox.  I know it's lighter on resources but would be much better to include firefox instead of most everyone having to install it later.

5.  Mplayer was hanging on streaming videos.  I replaced it with Xine which works perfectly.  I would rather have xine as the default.

6.  Would be nice to add a few shortcuts on the taskbar for launching pcmanfm, terminal, and browser.

7.  There is a bug if you go into vasm >service>services and enable the firewall service.   It wont allow shutdown or startup.   The standard firewall enabled from the network area works fine.

Other than that i think you have a good start on a nice distribution..  Keep up the good work!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: