VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 10:41:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Great experience.  (Read 4726 times)
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:33:32 am »

I'm not understanding what this Hungry Hippo is, it should be some game kind of thing, but...

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 09:21:58 am »

sivatheja:

I'm sorry for posting something obscure to non-US cultures.  "Hungry Hungry Hippos" is a children's game (for ages 3-6).  I think it was at least at one time available in the UK under the simpler name "Hungry Hippos."

For more information about the game, here's a link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Hungry_Hippos.  I'm fairly certain I had this game when I was very young.

I made this joke because Ubuntu releases are named after animals, with an adjective attached, such as:  Warty Warthog, Hoary Hedgehog, Breezy Badger, and so on.

I thought this might be funny because, for a Linux distribution, Ubuntu seems "hungry" for system resources.  As you know, a hippopotamus is an animal found in sub-Saharan Africa.

Here's a photo of some: 

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 09:39:51 am »

I had that game too (in Spain its name was 'tragabolas').  I remember me playing for hours Smiley

It'd be great if ubuntu crew name next version hungry hippo, but I don't think they will find it so funny.

tomh38++;

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 10:06:24 am »

Interesting  had never heard of hungery Hippo.. thanks for the enlightenment Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

Here's another idea I had for Ubuntu:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4014/

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 02:45:19 pm »

Here's another idea I had for Ubuntu:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4014/

Tom

It would still have a minimum RAM requirement of 512 MB, no go

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 05:01:58 pm »

Hanu/EFG,

I can't tell if you got the joke and are going along with me or not ... you tricky bastidge!

The people at Ubuntu Brainstorm are definitely not happy with my ideas:  the one idea I suggested seriously has a current score of -72.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 05:18:42 pm by tomh38 » Logged

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 05:03:53 pm »

Ubuntu is so bloated that even a console-only variant would eat up all RAM

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 08:32:53 am »

sivatheja:

I'm sorry for posting something obscure to non-US cultures.  "Hungry Hungry Hippos" is a children's game (for ages 3-6).  I think it was at least at one time available in the UK under the simpler name "Hungry Hippos."

For more information about the game, here's a link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Hungry_Hippos.  I'm fairly certain I had this game when I was very young.

I made this joke because Ubuntu releases are named after animals, with an adjective attached, such as:  Warty Warthog, Hoary Hedgehog, Breezy Badger, and so on.

I thought this might be funny because, for a Linux distribution, Ubuntu seems "hungry" for system resources.  As you know, a hippopotamus is an animal found in sub-Saharan Africa.

Here's a photo of some: 

Tom

Cheesy I know what a Hippo is Smiley but could not sense the context then, now it makes sense:)

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:12 am »

sivatheja:

I was almost absolutely certain (99.999999999999% certain  Cheesy) that you knew what a hippo is, but then I wasn't absolutely certain that they were only found in Africa, so I looked up the article in Wikipedia.  Then I saw the photo of the hippos, and I really liked it, so I posted it.  There's a pretty good zoo near where I live, but even there I've only ever seen one hippo at any given time.  Anyway, I'm sorry if I insulted you (if I did, it wasn't intentional).

Also, I've been waiting for a very long time to use my Ubuntu: Hungry Hippo joke.  I know it's not very funny, but for some reason when ever I see some reference to Ubuntu I think of it.

Thanks,
Tom

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 10:38:03 am »

Also, I've been waiting for a very long time to use my Ubuntu: Hungry Hippo joke.  I know it's not very funny, but for some reason when ever I see some reference to Ubuntu I think of it.
Are you kidding (again)? It was great, and I walked right into it!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:02 am »

Are you kidding (again)? It was great, and I walked right into it!

The Headacher
:  Actually, I was serious; I didn't think other people would find it that funny.  I'm glad you found it amusing.

Apparently some of the Ubuntu folks didn't like it, though, judging by the -56 score it has right now.  To be fair, I don't know that a lot of other people didn't give it positive votes, but ending up with a net negative.  I also don't know that some of the down votes weren't just because people thought it was silly and wanted the serious ideas up on top.

Tom

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 06:36:32 pm »

sivatheja:
Anyway, I'm sorry if I insulted you (if I did, it wasn't intentional).
Don't think so much buddy Tongue I sensed nothing negative in  your posts (till now in this forum). You are like a humble poster Cheesy Nice work on those Hippos though!  Cheesy

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 06:43:29 pm »

I really love that Hungry Hippo joke Tom! I know of at least three threads where I could use it, but that would be like stealing Wink May I?? I'll give credit to you :nice smile:

I also loved the math joke, but that one I am gonna steal whether you like it or not. And there is not a thing you can do about it. But we all know it was Tom's, and not mine. "I was told there would be no math in this exam" Classic! it's gonna be in my share. In exactly the right context that one is dynamite!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:13 am »

Freston:  Of course you can use the Hungry Hippo joke.  You can even attribute it to me if you want, or not, it doesn't really matter.  However, if the Ubuntu people show up and set fire to my house, it's on your head.  Cheesy

I think I first saw the math thing on Saturday Night Live, and it had to be around 1975 or so.  It was actor Chevy Chase as (then-) US President Gerald Ford (now deceased - Ford, not Chase).  It was something about the president in the Oval Office sitting at his desk saying, "I was told there would be no math."  Also there was the line, "I was told there would be no math on this exam," in the mid-1990s movie Reality Bites.

Tom

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: