VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 06:01:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux does not login the first time!  (Read 4407 times)
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« on: March 02, 2008, 02:06:44 am »

Hi,

I have a  root login and one user login on my machine. These days I've discovered strange pattern when I login from non root account.

When system is restarted, and I try to login into non root account, the system does not login for the first attempt. The screen just flickers just like the way it flickers for a successful login; and instead of the desktop, I get back the login screen again. However it is successfully logging in for subsequent tries.

A wrong UID/ PWD is giving an error 'login failed'; but this does not give any such error messages. Is the system security being compromised? (May sound silly, but I doubt!)

FYI:
Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.8 STD Gold, AMD Sempron 2200 - 1.79 GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:52:24 am »

I'm not a linux guru, but it might be a good idea to simply remove the user who has these problems. Afterwards you can create a new one using VASM or VASMCC. It think this should rule out any wrong setting you had previously..

Don't know if your users home dir will be removed to. Best way is to keep a backup of that folder somewhere, just to be sure.

Hope this helps you out Smiley

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:13:28 am »

but it might be a good idea to simply remove the user who has these problems.

It would probably be a better idea to create a new one and see if that one has trouble too. That way you don't have to mess around in the config of the existing user.

Don't know if your users home dir will be removed to.
Yes it will.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:13:37 am »

Situation the same even with new user account.

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
Stokstaartje

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:48:09 pm »

I have exactly the same problem. But even weirder in the sense that it comes and goes. This started happening after close to 2 months of daily usage. And indeed only on the user account(s) and never on the root account.

----------------------------------
I hope I didn't brain my damage!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:49:53 pm »

That happens to me only when I select "Default" in the Session manager. I always thought that kdm expects kde as default wm and since I dont have it, it just gives the chance to pick another one. I dunno if that assumption is correct. Never happens when selecting an installed wm.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:51:26 pm »

Even I have default thing checked, but if that is the case, it should be the case if 'root' is the first to login na!

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:24:22 am »

Even strange, now it sometimes logsin the first time itself, and sometimes I'll have to type in the same password the third time.

VgnFrnd

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

I am having the same problem, only worse. After I install VL-Lite or VL-Mini as my only OS on the hd, I get precisely this behavior, but it happens to me every single time. Consequently, I have never been able to login to the desktop. In contrast, VL-Soho installs perfectly with no problems. However, my system is too old to run it quickly enough to be usable, so I would like to use VL-Lite or VL-Mini, but as described, I can never login, either as root or as the user I setup during installation.

Moreover, the "Start JWM" and "Start Fluxbox" buttons on the login screen do not seem to be functional. When I click on either of them, their dialog window disappears, then re-appears after about thirty seconds. The "Shutdown" and "Reboot" buttons on the same dialog work as expected.

I suppose this post will have to serve as an additional confirmation of the problem for the developers, but if anyone has any suggestions for resolving the issue, I would be grateful. Vector Linux Soho is the only distribution I have been able to get to work correctly on this old laptop, so I am eager to see the lighter versions provide some new life for it.

P.S.: VL-Standard does not install at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: