VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 11:36:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repos explanation?  (Read 991 times)
kukibl
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:16:37 am »

I followed packages news and updates subforum, and I noticed that a lot of packages are created for both - 5.8 and 5.9 repo. Also, I've noticed that 5.8 repo contains a lot of interesting packages which are not present in 5.9 (quite logical). So, I have few questions:

1. For how long repo for older VL release (in this case 5.8 ) is being maintained/updated? Exact period of time or until next release (in this case 6.0)?

2. Packages that are present in 5.8 repo, but still not in 5.9 - are those packages going to be created for 5.9 repo automatically by VL's packagers team or they are created on demand? In example, Gnome?

3. How safe is to use packages from 5.8 in 5.9?

4. When you create repo for new release (in this case 5.9), how do you choose which packages to put in extra? Fixed selection or something else?

Thank you in advance!

Alex

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:18:57 am by kukibl » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:25:51 am »

There are a ton of packages for VL 5.9 still in testing.  If you enable the testing repository you can install them.  They get moved to extra only after someone (or several people) have tested them and say they are OK.  I suspect a lot of packages you may want to use are in testing.

VL 5.8 packages may or may NOT work in 5.9.  They generally aren't recommended.

Packages are built based on what volunteers want to build.  Generally if something is requested, particularly if there is more than one request, some volunteer will decide it's a good idea to build it.  Once built it goes to testing.  Once tested it goes to extra.

I hope this helps,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kukibl
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »

Thank you, caitlyn, for your reply! I have testing repo enabled, though I don't do upgrades just install new stuff. Wink

The thing is - I've read somewhere on the forums that Gnome is included in VL5.8 repo. To be honest I was quite surprised - I've used Slackware from 10.0 version and had quite bad experience with Gnome (including Dropline, Freerock, except GSB). That is why I checked a little bit 5.8 repo and got curious about how stuff works.

So I got answer on questions no. 2, 3 and 4. Smiley
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:54 am »

On question 1:  VL doesn't have a release schedule.  I don't think even Vector knows when 6.0 will be released.  The fact that the 5.8 repo is still being maintained is a new thing.  Support and help for older versions is always there but new/updated packages for a previous version is something that didn't happen before now if memory serves.  I don't think anyone has solid answers for your first question.

GNOME for 5.8 requires updating glibc and other core libraries beyond what came with the release.  That, in turn, forces other upgrades (i.e.: wifi-radar).  It did all work well but I don't think that's an experiment that is going to be repeated anytime soon from what the developers were saying in the forum.  I don't know if anyone plans on packaging GNOME for 5.9.  It's a huge amount of work and it will depend entirely on how ambitious some developer or volunteer feels.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kukibl
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:48 am »

Thank you caitlyn, once again! Smiley Things are much clearer to me right now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: