VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 02:36:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need an honest answer  (Read 1464 times)
kge420

« on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:38 pm »

I have been scouring the web for information on installing my printer, Brother MFC 5440 CN.  I have found some forums that touched on this but nothing conclusive. My question: Is installing and using a printer in VL 5.9 at all possible?  Some of the instructions  I read were quite long and involved. I'm not looking to launch a rocket, just get a printer to work.  My 2cents.  kge420

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    -Ben Franklin
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:32:46 pm »

Sure it's possible; lots of folks do it. cups is what you're likely looking for, and it ain't that painful.  Sometimes you need special drivers, sometimes not; just depends on your hardware.  Hope this helps (although it seems your post was hinting at actually helping you set up your printer on your system, but you didn't ask).
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »

yes cups will install a printer. you can go to printer setup and run through a list of potential models. My understanding is you may have issue with a scanner but I have not got that far myself. I added a cannon bubble jet in a minute or so. have you attemped an install and no printer? you can try another driver, that sometimes works. perhaps another member has that unit. best of luck
cheers

Everything Is Relative
kge420

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:44:51 pm »

Cry newtor, I have posted a help question in the printer section. My post was just to vent a little, I guess. I am using an old and underspec'd machine. My main reason for crying is that it seems very involved and I may be over my head on this. Thanks, kge420

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:18:30 pm »

I can understand that, I'm in the process
maby this helps

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/sane_drivers.html

Everything Is Relative
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:50:38 am »

I have been scouring the web for information on installing my printer, Brother MFC 5440 CN.  I have found some forums that touched on this but nothing conclusive. My question: Is installing and using a printer in VL 5.9 at all possible?  Some of the instructions  I read were quite long and involved. I'm not looking to launch a rocket, just get a printer to work.  My 2cents.  kge420

Cups is quite easy to use-- in any web browser just type http://Http://localhost:631 and follow the prompts for adding a printer.. your problem may be that the Brother you have is not supported or you may need to download a driver from the Brother web page.  good luck and don't give up it's not that difficult.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kge420

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:44:31 am »

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I didn't want this to turn into a "printing post". I'm mid-way through Lent and my pennence is no beer. When installing a printer it is not a good time to give up drinking! I'll keep tryng.  kge420

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:26:32 am »

kge420:

If you're still having problems with your printer after you do what kc1di suggested you might find some helpful information here:  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

Hope this helps (if needed),

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »

Note that you must be root when you start your browser to work with CUPS. Once you've installed the printer as root, you can give your user account permission to modify that printer.

I suggest using VASMCC, Services, CUPS Printing when you want to install a printer. It will start your browser as root and the rest is not too hard. After you've done it a few times, it's very easy.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: