VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 03:16:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Deluxe Edition  (Read 1361 times)
waynev

« on: March 02, 2008, 10:26:24 pm »

VL 5.9 live CD is installed and currently running on 192mb ram 450mhz compaq desktop.  This is an old door stop machine really brought back to life by this distro.  I'm considering the purchase of the VL 5.9 Deluxe, but I'm concerned the machine may not run it.  Would like some input before I try this.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:00:58 am »

the live cd actually eats more ram than the installable edition. With deluxe your bound to get even better performance...................... Smiley
cheers,
vec
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:14:48 am »

Jep, the 450Mhz machine I have is alive again thanks to VectorLinux 5.9. I just love that big black bakelite monster build in the era when Laptops where supposed to be very sturdy. Ah... it is so well build, I could throw it around if it wasn't so heavy. Anyway, it's alive again.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 05:41:19 am »

waynev:  I've installed VL 5.9 on less powerful hardware that what your Compaq has (a Dell with 333Mhz processor and 128mb of RAM), and it's pretty zippy on that machine.  I would recommend the Deluxe edition just for all the spiffy stuff that comes on the second CD.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:20:23 pm »

I have been running VL 5.9 on an old HP Omnibook with 366 MHz and 160 RAM.  There is enough room in there for it, although I am looking forward to giving the new lite version a try as 5.9 Standard has more going for it than I need on my old box.  Wink

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
waynev

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 05:34:31 pm »

I have been running VL 5.9 on an old HP Omnibook with 366 MHz and 160 RAM.  There is enough room in there for it, although I am looking forward to giving the new lite version a try as 5.9 Standard has more going for it than I need on my old box.  Wink

My thoughts are similar with regards to VL 5.9 on the Compaq.  I do, however, have an old hp Pavilion 500Mb that runs at 1300MHz.  The Linux OS now on the machine is very good, and it manages hp 1410v All-in-One printer and scanner.  Presently, I'm working to get the scanner working on the Compaq. When this task is successfully completed, I'll make the decision with regard to installing VL 5.9 Deluxe on Pavilion.

Thanks for the many responses to my post.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: