VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 11:36:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: What do you think of KDE4.0?
An all round improvement - 4 (36.4%)
Same as 3.x, but with more bells and whistles - 3 (27.3%)
Generally a but rubbish - 2 (18.2%)
An attempt to make kde look like vista etc. - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE4.0--opinions of  (Read 3078 times)
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« on: March 03, 2008, 07:35:09 am »

Hey guys, I just tried out a live version suse with kde4.0, and I can honestly say, I'm not really that impressed. The numbers that I've read about it make it sound pretty good (uses less ram now than gnome 2.22), but it looks like a bit of a copycat DE, attempting to mirror Aero (especially in the massive menubar at the bottom of the screen).

I think I'll stick to xfce for now...

Another reason to love linux:
You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:18:38 am »

civint

I'm not that impressed with KDE 4.0 either, and yes, for now it seems to be an attempt to copy Aero.

On the other hand, there should be a lot of configuration options added in the upcoming releases, at least according to what I've read about what the KDE team has planned.

I also use XFCE, though I like to have KDE installed on my system since it has some applications that I regularly use.

I suppose we'll see what happens with KDE 4 in the upcoming months.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:29:40 am »

It's been a long time since I tried it (while it was still in beta stage) but I have to say I'm very dissapointed. Although, I made the switch from KDE to Xfce a long time ago, I always thought of KDE as the row model for most other WM or DE's

Version 4 is just not right...

mr_volvo

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:58:01 am »

(warning the following post will result in subjective views....)

May I ask why you both prefer xfce? Is it just the speed?  Krusader and KOrganizer probably keep me using kde (both for work Sad ) I guess Orage would work for the organiser... Any tips on the gui file manager? Is thunar my only real option?

Also, any nice theme recommendations?

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:17:16 am »

May I ask why you both prefer xfce? Is it just the speed?  Krusader and KOrganizer probably keep me using kde (both for work Sad ) I guess Orage would work for the organiser... Any tips on the gui file manager? Is thunar my only real option?

Though I'm not an XFCE user that often.. when I do use it i use ROX for the file manager , it's very light weight on resources and fast..  Just my opinion-- Thunar works great also. 

I prefer Fluxbox over xfce if I want a lightweight desktop.

As for KDE 4 it just don't run on most of my older hardware and it's not ready for primetime on my other machines..

Cheers.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:59:41 am »

You can use any file manager you wish... thunar is just what's shipped w/ xfce. I altenate between several of them (thunar, xfe, pcmanfe to name a few).

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:02:46 am »

mr_volvo:

I have to admit that I'm not really sure why I prefer Xfce.  Actually, when I read that Vector Linux was changing from IceWM to Xfce for the default desktop in VL 5.8 Standard, I felt sort of disappointed.  I thought it was going to be slower than IceWM.  As it turned out, on the hardware I was using at the time Xfce was just as fast as IceWM had been on VL 5.1 (plus, the VL team had replaced the Xfce rat with the VL logo ... I don't like rats  Cheesy).

Anyway, as far as file managers go, I like Thunar.  Xfe is in the repos I think.  Also, you can use any file manager that's installed on your system (sometimes I fire up Konqueror since it has some functionality which Thunar doesn't).

I wish I could be of more help.

Tom 

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:20:14 am »

I guess Orage would work for the organiser... Any tips on the gui file manager? Is thunar my only real option?

I'm using sunbird for the organiser, and I think it's quite good. You can find it in the repos.

As for thunar, I was initially disappointed, after having used Rox with fluxbox. But once I started discovering the options and configuring some custom actions, I think it is very good.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:37:41 pm »

How come nobody suggested Midnight Commander as a file manager? It's my favorite by far.

You can use any file manager you want as long as its dependencies are installed. I have enough of KDE installed to use Konqueror, but I've never liked it. Thunar is the XFce default and I don't like it much, either. Of graphical file managers, I like xfe as well as anything.

Orage is a calendar. I wouldn't call it an organizer. I find it completely adequate as a calendar and I use jpilot with my Sony Clie PDA, and jpilot is all the organizer I need. It's got a calendar, address book, To-Do list, and memo pad. I'm pretty sure jpilot could serve as an organizer even if you don't have a Palm OS device to sync it with.

I don't like Fluxbox at all. I used IceWM for years while XFce was not very well developed. But XFce has become really good. Among the reasons I don't like Fluxbox and IceWM is that they are hard to configure. I don't like those text files. XFce is much easier to configure and customize.

All my computers have enough horsepower that I don't need to worry about how much RAM, etc., my desktop takes.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:50:51 pm »

Those poll choices don't seem adequate...someone had a definite opinion  Wink

You guys have to remember that KDE 4 is not the progression of KDE 3 to the next level but is KDE 4 version 1.0. It has a lot of rough edges but is the start of something new. We cannot really compare KDE 4 to an existing DE because it is not yet fully formed. There is a whole new set of exciting and innovative things under the hood. Later down the road, the interface, the bugs and the problems will be smoothed out. This is how it was with KDE 2 and 3, and a lot of people complained then because the transition was hard and still complain now. I'd just wait a while until it matures a bit before judging it.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:33:33 am »

How come nobody suggested Midnight Commander as a file manager?

It maybe because it is ncurses base and designed to be incorporated into
to a WDM or DE. I agree it that the power of MC is close to if not as powerful
as Konqueror. The rest pale in comparison to either imho.

The poll options are too silly to entertain.

I had almost written. I deleted it since the op apparently does not really follow
the development side, of MS, Linux, or MAC. Therefore the comments would
have been wasted.

Bigpaws

Bigpaws
mr_volvo

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:51:36 am »

tomh posted this a few weeks back:
http://www.linuxtechdaily.com/2008/02/kde-4-developers-an-interview-with-sebastian-kugler/

I think its a pretty good run down of where the development is at tht moment.

And thanks for the xfce tips, im trying it at the moment but gosh its ugly.

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:02:49 am »

So, what's new in regards to kde4 and vector?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: