VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 05:33:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few more dumb questions....  (Read 1472 times)
civint

Now in AWESOME flavour

« on: March 03, 2008, 07:43:33 am »

Okay, I have a couple of questions just generally about VL, and linux in general, and I was wondering if you could help me, VL forumites!

My first question is this:Can I set my home (/home/Civint) to be my desktop folder? The reason being that I don't use my desktop to display the contents of /home/civint/desktop, to keep it clean and minimalist, and when I download stuff in firefox, it just dumps it in my desktop folder, when I'd rather it was in my home Directory.
(Also, I saw you can do this using Ubuntu tweak, and figured I could do a similar thing in VL, although I'm not sure how it's implemented in UbuntuTweak.)

My second question is this-is i possible to chnage the icons in thunar, that is, the back/forward type icons in the toolbar? and if so, what should I call them in an icon theme? (I'm considering porting Buuf from gnome to xfce icons)

Another reason to love linux:
You can call it "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux" and there isn't a damn thing Richard Stallman can do about it.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:36:55 am »

First answer:
You could just configure FF to download stuff to a different location and still keep your desktop clean. Displaying your $HOME would result in a very dirty desktop... you have all kinds of stuff in your $HOME. On top of that, I have no idea how to change what's displayed on the desktop (at least not in xfce). So my suggestion, Go into the Firefox preferences, and select another download location, or have it ask you each time you download stuff. Wink

Second answer:
You can change the icons... but they're not thunar icons, you have to change the GTK icon theme.
look in the xfce settings panel. If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to use some gnome icons on your thunar window.
There are icon themes available on the www. if you want to make your own, find a howto somewhere Wink

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:03:57 am »

Okay, I have a couple of questions just generally about VL, and linux in general, and I was wondering if you could help me, VL forumites!

My first question is this:Can I set my home (/home/Civint) to be my desktop folder? The reason being that I don't use my desktop to display the contents of /home/civint/desktop, to keep it clean and minimalist, and when I download stuff in firefox, it just dumps it in my desktop folder, when I'd rather it was in my home Directory.

In FireFox go to the Edit Button >preferences  , on the page that pops up , go to the second one down  this lets you choose the location wher you want your downloaded files to go  I Always create a folder in my home Directory call Downloads or something similar and tell Firefox to download everything there. instead of on the desktop.  You can create the folder in your /home folder by going to any terminal and typing the following 
su
<enter your root password when asked>
mkdir /home/<Your user name>/downloads

Now in Firefox go to
edit tab
preferences
<second in the list of opptions will be a button save files to:> click that and choose /home/<your usr name>/downloads.

<NOTE: if you are using Firefox 2.0.0.12 the preference menu will be under tools not edit>

From now on the downloaded files will be sent to /home/<your usr name>/downloads  < you can move them from there anywhere you want.>

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:06:59 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:11:38 am »

I forgot to mention another benifit of downloading your files to a download folder in your home Diretory is that if you run virus checking software you need only check that folder with the software to make sure your downloaded files are clean before you excicute them or pass them on to others.

cheers!

Dave
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:01:12 pm »

You don't need to su to root to create directories in your home directory. In fact, you *shouldn't* be root when you create directories in your home directory because root will own the directory and you as user won't have write permissions there unless root changes the permissions.

As user, you have full write permissions throughout your home directory. In fact, that's just about the only place where you have write permission by default (except for the /tmp directory). So feel free to create directories, remove directories, store files, delete files, and generally have free rein in ~/.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:01:30 am »

Thanks GrannyGeek,

I knew that just had a brain cramp.. Smiley

Cheers!

Dave
Pages: [1]