VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 01:28:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: localhost:631 down?  (Read 2246 times)
kge420

« on: March 05, 2008, 03:27:36 pm »

I've been trying to access the CUPS page at "localhost:631" for the past few days and have had no success. Is the site down?

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    -Ben Franklin
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:48:19 pm »

kge420,

localhost:631 is on your machine.  What kind of message are you getting when you try to pull it up in a web browser?

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kge420

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:11:37 pm »

I have also been unable to launch gslapt. These worked up until a few days ago.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:631.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:14:43 pm by kge420 » Logged

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:18:13 pm »

maybe http://127.0.0.1:631 will work Huh
kge420

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:35:11 pm »

No luck  "404 not found"   Huh

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:47:23 pm »

Perhaps you have to enable the cups service with vasm.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kge420

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 05:03:37 pm »

vasmcc-services- CUPS-leads me to the 404 error

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 05:38:52 pm »

Try /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

Bigpaws
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:39:44 pm »

Hmm, you have to enable the cups service first, go to VasmCC, Services, Services (services again, not cups printing), pick your runlevel (mostly like 4), and check the cupsd box. This shouldn't launch any browser.
Once the cups daemon is started, then click in the CUPS printing icon, or navigate to localhost:631 with your browser.
If this doesn't work you can check if the cups daemon is running manually:

Code:
ps aux | grep cupsd

If cupsd is not there beyond the grep process, try launching it as root and post the error message if any.

Code:
cupsd

EDIT: Oh Bigpaws won the race by a few seconds, his suggestion is better, use it instead mine Smiley.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:49:02 pm »

I just went to the http://localhost:631 and it came up fine.  I also tried using http://www.localhost:631 and got the same error mesg  404, so try dropping the www and see if you can get it.  Make sure that Vl recognizes your printer first or CUPS can't help you.

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:03:12 pm »

I'm sorry kge420  I should have included this in the above post.

When and if you do access the CUPS page, click on "manage printers'", after it does its thing, you will be asked for 'name' and 'password'.  In 'name' use "root" and in 'password' use your root  password.  Good Luck  Smiley

reb

Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 06:50:54 pm »

I just went to the http://localhost:631 and it came up fine.  I also tried using http://www.localhost:631 and got the same error mesg  404, so try dropping the www and see if you can get it.  Make sure that Vl recognizes your printer first or CUPS can't help you.

How does VL recognize a printer if you haven't yet installed it in CUPS? My printers aren't seen until I set them up in CUPS.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 07:13:25 am »

How does VL recognize a printer if you haven't yet installed it in CUPS? My printers aren't seen until I set them up in CUPS.
--GrannyGeek

I was told to use VASM as root and select  Hardware > Hwset > paralell: Parallel port and printer.  Next I use the Kde desktop so this may not work for everyone.

I then went to "Control Center" > peripherals > printers > Printers - Control Center and at the bottom right selected CUPS, then as 'root' followed ADD (a printer); from there, ran a test page and finally had to go to the CUPS web page to set the printer as 'default'.

Was I lucky "yes", will it work for everyone "probably not",  but that is how I (and 'we' the fourm) managed to do it.

hope this helps someone else

reb

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 06:23:02 pm »

Thanks for the expanation, reb. I can see why I've never seen anything like that.

I haven't had any printers on a parallel port for years. I do have two printers that *could* be connected to a parallel port, but they're both on Ethernet print servers now and have IP addresses of their own. I also have two all-in-ones that are connected by USB. There is one on each of my desktop computers. CUPS sees them but has no driver for them, so I have to install a driver from the manufacturer before I can set them up with CUPS.

I don't use a parallel port for anything and don't have a parallel port enabled in VectorLinux.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:57:26 am »

Thanks for the expanation, reb. I can see why I've never seen anything like that.
I don't use a parallel port for anything and don't have a parallel port enabled in VectorLinux.
--GrannyGeek

And that, GrannyGeek answers the micro-mystery in my mind.  If you hadn't seen it or heard about it, you couldn't have known.  Smiley
I know because I suffer from a lack of sufficient knowledge constantly, on more subjects than just Linux.  Sad

cheers

reb

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: