VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 08:49:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bootloader that can see my other distros  (Read 1351 times)
vinoman

« on: March 05, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

I have a test box with three hard drives on it:

sda1 - Mint 4.0 - 40gb
sdb1 - Klikit .1-9 - 40gb
sdc1 - Xubuntu on 45gb partition
sdc3 - empty 55gb partition

Would like to install on the sdc3 partition.

How would I go about setting up the bootloader (Grub?) So that it can see all the other distros. Only the 'buntu family bootloader has been able to see other distros.

Can Vector create a bootloader that can do this?

Thanks Smiley
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:23:14 am »

vinoman:

This looks like your first post in the VL forums.  Welcome to Vector Linux.

The standard bootloader in VL is Lilo (Linux Loader)  In my experience Lilo will automatically detect other Linux installations and add them to your list of choices at boot time.

I'm not familiar enough with Grub to say anything at all about it, though I do think it is available for VL 5.9.

So, during your installation of VL on sdc3, toward the end you will be given the options to install Lilo either on your master boot record (MBR), (which on your machine would be on sda), to a formatted floppy, or to not install Lilo at all.  If you choose to install Lilo, it should automatically detect Mint, Klikit, and Xubuntu.  Once Lilo does its autodetection, you should see 6 things in a list something like this: 1) Linux, 2) Linux TUI, 3) Linux GUI, 4) Linux-Mint, 5) Linux-Klikit, and 6) Linux-Xubuntu.  The first three are for VL (TUI stands for Text User Interface).

Since Mint, Klikit, and Xubuntu are all members of the Ubuntu family, Lilo might identify them all as simply 'Ubuntu.'  Don't worry about that for the moment (the Lilo configuration file can be modified after installation).

I hope this helps.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
vinoman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:07:45 am »

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:41 pm »

I presume that you already have Grub installed in one of your other distributions. One of the nice things about Grub is that a single installation can manage multiple boot partitions. When you install Vector, I would skip the Lilo install step, then add the necessary commands to your existing /boot/grub/menu.lst (on whatever drive that is).

One thing to watch is that Vector still uses the older 'hdX' naming conventions, so you Grub command will need to have root= statement pointed at /dev/hdc3 rather than sdc3.

If you need a sample menu entry for Grub, let me know. It does mean a little bit of work with a text editor, but its not too much effort.

paul.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:32 pm »

vinoman:

toothandnail's advice is better than mine.  I suggest that you try what he said first.  If you have problems, you can always try what I sugessted.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
gacurt

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:42:18 pm »

I have a single drive with PCLinux OS2007, VL5.9 and VL5.9 Lite b2. Installed pcl first, 5.9 next and b2 last. LILO from 5.9 and 5.9 b2 set up properly with the other distros shown. Installed to MBR.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: