VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 07:18:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Lilo?  (Read 4959 times)
vinoman

« on: March 06, 2008, 06:26:44 am »

What is the advantage of using Lilo bootloader these days when most distros are using Grub?

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:15:30 am »

Your question goes towards the same direction of which editor do you use.

Lilo in my experience has been fault tolerent, grub for me has been a bear.

There are many here whom have had the exact opposite experiences.

I would not class one better than the other. Slackware uses lilo which is
the base for Vector.

Bigpaws
vinoman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:30:40 am »

Good answer. Since I'm thinking of installing Vector 5.9 on my test PC. It has Mint, Xubuntu and Klikit on three separate hard drives. I have a 55gb partition waiting for Vector on sdc3. since Klikit is now the main bootloader, would it be better to add the boot entry for Vector to it? What would that entry be? I had this problem with Fedora 8 a couple months ago and nobody could give me the correct grub entry so a gave up on Fedora and went back to Mint.

If Vector has a good installer, maybe it will find all the other distros and Lilo can be the main bootloader.

Also, is it better to use the 5.9 standard cd or the live 5.9 cd for installing? Does it matter?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:46:14 am »

The VL installer does a good job detecting other OS's and adding them to the boot menu.

I would highly recommend using the Standard CD for installation.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »

the base for Vector.

Lilo fails on some disks. On mine for example. I don`t know why is that. I tried Zenwalk and there was lilo error, same with Slackware. Grub is OK.

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 03:01:29 am »

the base for Vector.

Lilo fails on some disks. On mine for example. I don`t know why is that. I tried Zenwalk and there was lilo error, same with Slackware. Grub is OK.

Are you installing Lilo in the MBR?

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:44:36 am »

Are you installing Lilo in the MBR?

Yes

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:09:34 am »

Grub, IMHO, is more flexible and powerful.  I find it easier to configure.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:19:27 am »

Grub, IMHO, is more flexible and powerful.  I find it easier to configure.

I fully agree I like grub better myself.  but that may be just personal preference.  and the fact that I've work with grub much more than lilo.  I think this is one area were VL should depart from Slackware and go with grub.
But then I've heard some horror stories by some VL users about grub also. Just my 2 cent's worth.
Cheers!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:22:04 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »

I can't fathom grub. I've read explanations of it and I just can't get my mind around it. So I'm happy to stick with LILO. Having a choice is good.

If I remember correctly, grub was an option during beta testing for VL 5.9 Standard and caused problems on some systems. I think that's why it wasn't included in the final release. I may be completely wrong about this.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:41:03 pm »

As someone pointed out to me, Grub is still included in Vector, just not offered as an installation choice.

I've been using it for years. Started when I wanted to try a second Linux distribution on my (long since replaced) laptop. I wasted a lot of time trying to get Lilo to boot multiple Linux versions, and failed every time. I then tried Grub, found it was as simple as adding an extra entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst and have been using it ever since.

The variations that people find between the two boot loaders are weird. I've never had any problems with Grub (well, other than the fact that the early Ubuntu Grub install would fail every time), yet I've had lots of trouble with Lilo. But I know others who's experience has been exactly the opposite. Very weird....

paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 11:02:40 am »

Like most everyone else I've used both. I have had trouble with both and found that lilo is simpler but as caitlyn has pointed out grub is more flexible and more powerful. Since I don't need that flexiblity and since VL uses lilo as its default I stick with it. I have stopped looking seriously at other distros and so I don't have to worry about adding lines to my bootloader. FWIW if I were ever to move away from VL then I would probably use grub though.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 03:17:44 pm »

I've got no problem with Lilo - I use it on my big laptop, and through the beauty of Vector 5.8 SOHO's auto-configuration, I was able to get Vector and Windows XP properly recognised.  I've since gone on to add another option - USB Boot (so I don't have to rely on the hardware boot order in bios) - and added passwording.

Grub though .... eh, grub comes with DSL, and I've had nothing but issues getting it to work with other installs on my test machines.  I'd like to blame the machine itself (because it's a bitch Sad ) but I think in this case I can't.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:50:13 am »

Which ever suits your wants and needs and works best for you, I'd say Smiley 
I've had good results with both Lilo and Grub.
If you would rather use your current boot manager, or another manager of your choice, then I would suggest installing the VL lilo into the partition , instead of the master boot record, then follow your managers' guide to adding Vl into it.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 08:27:14 am »

Grub doesn't support ext4 filesystems at present.  A number of distros increased the default inode size in ext3 as a step in preparation to ext4.  Grub doesn't support the new larger inodes, either.  This is why a number of distros (i.e.: Ubuntu) have dropped grub and gone back to stictly using lilo.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: